A short outing with four cameras (8 images).

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
Sometimes I think I'm more of a collector than a cameraman so today I took four of my five serious compacts for a spin.

First the GH1 with my 8mm Samyang/Falcon fisheye and my new adapter (having sold my Oly one). The image has been de-fished in a program called Fisheye Hemi so resembles more of an UWA then a FE. The horizon is a giveaway.

6056063172_227abc5991_b.jpg

Secondly is my Canon G5 which has been converted for infra-red. It is a 665nm filter so allows some colour info through. The first shot is how the images look straight from camera.

6056064234_331b50e297_b.jpg

In the second shot I have used the channel mixer to set red to 0 and blue to 100 in the red channel only which gives a mono look.

6056064080_bb89f1a958_b.jpg

In the last shot I have swapped the red and blue values for the blue as well as the red channels which 'reverses' the sky colour from reddish to bluish. The foliage in all three shots has the typical whiteish appearance.

6056064454_aac62ef213_b.jpg

Bill, taking out 4 cameras with their accompanying lenses is a feat! Your first has, for me, an Alice in Wonderland feel due to that fisheye dip... I keep wondering if that is a wild Australian animal at the foot of that tree? It's a cool image, but it does make me feel a bit woozy... I don't do well on roller coasters or anything that changes the horizon too much.;)

Seeing each of these with your descriptions of what was involved is interesting and shows off the versatility of what can be done both with the camera and your post processing. Is that a Wood Duck who is hiding his face from you? Beautiful colors!! I do like the straightforward quality of the last, of course I realize that I may be prejudiced...but the image quality and colors are awfully good.

Nic the Samyang is designed for APS-C but has a 4/3 mount so the image is cropped. BBW no animal near the tree and we call them Mountain Ducks locally although I have heard them called Wood Ducks. The trick to a level horizon with the FE is to place it in the centre (no rule of thirds :))

Hi Bill, thanks for posting such creative photos :) I love the 3rd IR shot (would love to favourite it on flickr if you're on flickr) it looks so dreamy :) and I love the GH1 photo too - it looks very interesting because the curve makes you look at all the cars and makes me eye follow the picture (hope you know what mean), also love the colour/PP - I could never get good results out of my Panny g1's files.

Bill... I used to 'dabble' many years ago with infra red, in my 35mm days... with some reasonable results....

However... a while back I bought the requisite R72 infra-red filter, and thought I'd give the digital IR a go.... but got grim results from it.

If I dust it off and try again... will you give a few tips on the image processing thread ??? as the third of your IR shots is quite impressive....

Great shots Bill. I'm with Vince and Mal IR shot 3 is a stand-out...does look like something out of a dream!

Can I ask whether the conversion cost you much? and who you got to do it for you here in Oz?

I know some might have tried to approximate this with an IR filter but there is no way they even come close to what can be achieved with the sensor conversion.

Thanks for the comments guys. Mal as I'm sure you know using an R72 requires a tripod and an exposure of several seconds. Some PP tips are given at the Spencer's Cameras website.

Mark I was planning on converting a Pen at a cost of some $350-$400 (plus the value of the body) but saw the Canon on eBay being sold by a guy doing his own conversions and all up it cost me $280. I also have a WA lens for it as it only goes to 35mm.

Bill the IR has me in awe. I really need to tinker with my old canon and see if I can pull that off. My other method is a Hoya filter for my dslr. I like IR.. and ghosting.

Back