A step into NEX

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by pharaviel, Aug 13, 2012.

1. pharaviel

pharaviel SC Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I everyone, I'm a regular contributor in the u43 forum and a stalker here on serious compacts.
    I own some micro43 stuff and I was thinking about a nex camera.
    I'm not switching system, I just want a "digital back" for my mf lenses, a 58 f1,4 and a 35 f2,8 shift. I just got in my shop (I work in an electronic store) a NEX C3 (a bit old I think), price 450 euros. Could be a nice entry level camera?
    Note: I don't need the evf. I do not need speed, I'm planning to use it in the studio.
    I just need/want nice image quality, manual flash control of the small flash included in the box (so I can trigger dumb flashes) and focus peaking.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix SC Top Veteran

Dec 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Fair warning, using mf lenses on the NEX can be very addictive because of the peaking function :biggrin: imo if you're looking for a digital back for your mf lenses its hard to go wrong with a NEX.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pharaviel

pharaviel SC Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Thank you for the warning :) I like manual focus control, but unfortunately It's almost impossible for me on dslr because of a eye disease I discovered lately.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I have a CSR (central serous retinopathy) in my right eye that makes using an EVF less appealing than it might normally be and getting focus right is a hit or miss thing because of it. I love my manual focus lenses and I picked up a NEX-C3 to use them with and I love it. Focus peaking is amazing. I just posted a lengthy write up on my experiences with the NEX-C3 and my GX1 if you're interested.

A Tale of Two Systems - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

I agree with Phoenix...it can VERY addictive.

5. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Hi there and welcome!
    I'm another NEX user with a bias for legacy glass:) As Phoenix said, for those into manual lenses, NEX is a great platform.
    You might also check our NEX-specific sister-site TalkNex with examples of many old lenses mounted on various NEX bodies and sample images from these combinations:

TalkNEX.com - Sony Alpha NEX News, Rumors, and Discussion Forums

6. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    dixeyk,
    just checked your "Tale of two systems" and enjoyed the read.
    My experience with NEX closely matches yours; I would just add that Minolta glass suits NEX equally damn fine:)

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I have wondered about Minolta lenses. I'll have to give some a try. Didn't the Minolta 24/2.8 also get sold as the Leica R 24/2.8 or am I mistaken? The Leica/Minolta connection has always intrigued me. The M Rokkor 40/2 is another one that has piqued my interest. Got any favorites that I should look for? BTW, a lens that I have been really happy with is the Komine made Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus (MD mount). It's a really fun lens with outstanding IQ and being able to get in close opens up some interesting possibilities.

8. pharaviel

pharaviel SC Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Dixeyk, I suffer from a starting case of Keratoconus which is not really debilitating (I can do everything but reading on PC/mobile without my glasses) but makes me see multiple light sources (If i point a red dot laser on my wall, I see four dots with random lines connecting them instead of a single dot). Optical viewfinders came to be really useless, while evf that limits outside brightness are a blessing for me :)

I already read your tale on m43 but I was somewhat convinced that you chose a 5N... Don't know why I was sure of this.

Can I ask you an information about your C3? I found on dpr many people who were hacking the external flash to get a pc sync for external flashes. Is really that impossible to have the C3 shot a single flash (with manual power) without using pre-flashes? This would kill the Nex for me for studio use like it almost killed the panasonic m43 (panas have the hot shoe and I can get a sync from there).

Well, it's the same family :friends: I'm going to use the Konica 57 f1.4 I recently got... And I don't think it will come off anytime soon.

9. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Another NEXer here, I have the -5 and i love her dearly. I use Canon FD glass or others with FD fit, I'm especially fond of the 135mm. It does nice things like this[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

I'd really like the 50mm macro lens, I have the f1.8 which is fun but I want to get up close and personal with stuff.
    SO I say - do it! Buy it! and if you don't like it you can sell it again. But you will. Oh yes, you will :)

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I probably would have chosen the 5n but at the time I bought I was still on the fence so I decided the C3 would be a good point of entry as it was $200 less than the going price for the 5n. I also liked the fact that the C3 had and additional level of MF assist (15x) that the 5n curiously dod not. Now that I know what to expect from the NEX I could see picking up a NEX6 or NEX7.

As to the Flash question...sorry I can't answer because I shoot available light. I don't even know where the flash that came with the C3 is anymore. I do remember reading about the Hotshoe adapter for the 5n. Would that help?

11. pharaviel

pharaviel SC Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    That hotshoe adapter would be awesome at 7,90$, but at 79$ it's not :)

21:45 add:
    I believe I'm going to keep some money and get the F3 or 5N for the evf support. Unless I get some store credit at my shop (sometimes happens), in that case I'm going to buy the C3 :)