A suggestion for a series here on SC - a photograph a month?

Discussion in 'Philosophy of Photography' started by BBW, Mar 19, 2011.

1. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Stillshunter AKA Mark made a suggestion over on another thread where he was welcoming dixeyk AKA Kevin.
    I'd certainly be up for a photograph a month. From my point of view, it could offer those interested a challenge to edit our own pictures for that month and help us see where we're going...and then choosing whichever one we want to add to that month.

What do you all think about this suggestion of Mark's?

2. MichaelChiara

MichaelChiara SC Regular

Jul 9, 2010
    Brooklyn
    I like it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Hmmm, much better tha a PAD project.
    This allows one to really find the real good image...
    I'm in....

• Like Like x 1
  4. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    yes SS,,, been there done that, and this idea sounds great, I would do it... another idea is the chief Amin, BB, SS...(I really dont carel who) gives us all a subject or topic and
    we submit one photo on that thread pertaining to that subject. It would be fun to see everyones different interpretation of it.... just a though.
    cheers, Pete

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks for the feedback thus far, you all. Pete, I think that your idea for a "subject shoot" is another good idea and one that we should consider separately. I'll figure out an approach and post my ideas in a new thread either later on tonight or tomorrow - quoting you, Pete.:wink: It could be kind of like a SC Image Quest - hint, hint. Or we can make it a round robin kind o' thing.

I will also set up something for this Single Photo a Month series, as well - again, probably won't be able to get to it until some time tomorrow. So everyone start your engines.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Potn has a cool ongoing challenge thread.
    We start on an idea for an image. Everyone submits 1 image to the challenge. Then all participants vote for the best image. The winner sets the new idea for the following week.
    It's actually a very good way to control pressure and still enjoy the challenge.

If course there are time frames to work but it's much fun.
    I'm just saying.....

• Like Like x 1
  7. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I also frequent Digital Darkroom where I'm a member of the committee that sets the monthly Themes and runs the Competitions. They can generate a lot of fun and provide a stimulus to get out and take photos as Don has said.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Bill.... me thinks...your the guy for this task........

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    So now we have two separate ideas, the SC Single Photograph a Month and the SC Image Challenge.

10. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Ya need an active group for the challenge thing but the 1 a month.... ya can always sleep for a few weeks and then wake up, make an image and then go back to sleep....
    yawn....shooter

11. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    True. Well we can start out by my setting up the Monthly and take it from there.

Yes, yawning here, too. Nighty night from New York!

12. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    for me .... no problem with the monthly submission....but I prefer no voting...
    but hey that's just me.
    thanks

Pete

13. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    We'll have to figure this out. We've got some good ideas and need to fine tune a few things.

Meanwhile, once I get it together to at least set up a gallery for the Single Photo a Month, I'll be back to you.:wink:

I hope other members will add their reactions and thoughts on this, as well.

14. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Wow, I'm rather flattered that you're pursuing my offhand suggestion. Thanks BB. :redface:

Of course, my name is in the hat for the monthly challenge :biggrin:

15. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Flattery will get you everywhere!:tongue:

Hey, Mark - it's a great idea. :th_salute:

16. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    Bill & Mark can handle the entire thing. The members energy is what keeps things alive.
    JMHO.... Hope I splelled it right.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Sounds good to me. Mark? Bill?

I'm afraid to say that at present I am unable to set up a gallery.:redface: Eventually, it will get done but for now we're going to have to work with threads. A Challenge thread and a Single Monthly Photo thread.

As for the Weekly Challenge how about - everyone votes for the weekly challenge... No winner, no loser. However, the person with the most votes sets the new challenge for the next week?

18. summerkl

summerkl SC Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Kevin
    I'm easy and up for any variation.

Another interesting thread I've seen is where the admins or committee select weekly 5-10 of the best images posted that week from the various threads. I find it inspiring and useful to see others string compositions and presentations.

• Like Like x 1
  19. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Kevin, you get some of your minions to work up a plan select the committee and go for it!:biggrin:

20. Streetshooter

Jul 12, 2010
    Philly, Pa
    I nominate Kevin as mediator between the Mod team and the Board of Directors of Weey & Monthly challenges.
    I nominate Bill & Mark as those 2 BOD officers each with equal rights.
    I nominate BB & the mods to be the grease monkeys to make all things mechanical work.

If the challenges fall short, I nominate Herman as the Stimulator with the "Show" image threads to keep ye and ye forum active....

What vote?!