A tale of three moons

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
So my wife says, "There's a gorgeous, huge moon out tonight, why don't you get a picture of it?"

I unholster the FZ200 and get this:

FZ200_moon_032.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My better half says, "That looks like a moon that NASA would take. I had something a little more romantic in mind."

Oh . . .

So, at 5 am, at 13 degrees F., in my pajamas, while taking the garbage to the curb, I remember some advice from Carl Heilman's Field Guide to Landscape Photography -- to capture the moon, try f/11 at a shutter speed of one over the ISO. So if the ISO is 500, you would shoot at 1/500 sec.

The LX100, unfortunately, offers shutter speeds of 125, 250, 500, 1000, and ISOs of 100, 200, 400, 800, etc.

So I try f/11, 1/500, ISO 800 and get this:

LX100_romantic_moon_002_Medium_.JPG

Yes, there really is a small white dot in the center of the screen and if you zoom in enough on it, you can actually see some detail. It ain't romantic, though. Heck, it's hardly visible.

So, feeling cold creeping up my spine and fearing I'll be found in the driveway frozen like some paleolithic hunter discovered in an alpine glacier, I say, "Let's see if the LX100's iA mode -- aka "photography for the uninitiated" -- can do any better, and it gives me this:

LX100_romantic_moon_004_Medium_.JPG

But at least it's romantic, I think, and it brings to mind this:
"The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow,
Gave a lustre of midday to objects below, "

My conclusion: photographing the moon with any kind of "context" is a tough challenge. Any hints or tips would be appreciated.

Cheers, Jock

Back