Nikon Showcase A taste of evenings to come.

Livnius

Top Veteran
Name
Joe
This is one of my favorite times of year, the dark grey dampness of winter begins to be periodically broken by bursts of glorious sunshine and blue skies...the promise of things to come. At first its sometimes just a splattering but more often than not, false promise....but then you get that day, much like this Sunday just passed, when even the most hardened and cynical of Melbournians cannot help but be almost magically uplifted by reading natures signal that the greyness and southerly winds will soon pass to be replaced by something entirely more pleasant.

I spent most of the Sunday in and around the yard...but come late afternoon I showered up, put my gear in may bag (battery full...check.....SD card in slot....check) and jumped on the train into town, a short and convenient 15 minute ride. Photographs aside, it was such a nice way to spend a couple hours before settling back in for the weekend...having the camera with me was just the bonus.

Hopefully some of these shots manage to convey atleast a little bit of the life that is creeping its way back into my city.

All with the D610, a camera whichh I'm growing to REALLY like....lenses as listed.
(Still enjoying a honeymoon of sorts with the 180mm 2.8ED....I think I'll use it more than anticipated)

180/2.8ED
21757591076_4f27372754_h.jpg

Southbank along the Yarra River.
by Joe Krizan, on Flickr

180/2.8ED
21757593616_f90706086b_h.jpg

Chinese Lanterns.
by Joe Krizan, on Flickr

180/2.8ED
21162673323_269d787399_h.jpg

Jeffs Shed.
by Joe Krizan, on Flickr

180/2.8ED
21595867128_e906938b34_h.jpg

Gull.
by Joe Krizan, on Flickr

Sigma 35 Art
21595872328_78d77a06e8_h.jpg

Growing City.
by Joe Krizan, on Flickr

Nikon 50/1.4G
21783731025_be77827015_h.jpg

Sunday Afternoon Beers.
by Joe Krizan, on Flickr

Sigma 35 Art
21783733195_ef0afd5ed8_h.jpg

Docklands.
by Joe Krizan, on Flickr

This is one of those shots were I plan on going back and retaking...nothing wrong with it as such, but I really wouldn't mind having another go at the exposure, this time with a tripod (I'll have to dust it off first). This shot was heavily underexposed and had to push it fair way, I don't intend to do a long exposure or anything, just to really nail the exposure at base ISO I will need a slower shutter speed...too slow to be handheld...oh, and I wouldn't mind taking it with the sun just a little higher on the horizon. This kinda planning a shot type stuff isn't typically my thing, but once in a blue moon I feel the need to do so.

Sigma 35 Art
21783942155_2864507751_h.jpg

Docklands Nightfall.
by Joe Krizan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Beautiful, Joe. I like them all but I think #3 is my absolute favorite!

I wish I had more time when I was in Melbourne. It is a beautiful city. Enjoy Spring!

Really nice Joe. Great use of the 180 f2.8. You're using it as more of a walk-around lens than I tend to - I might have to give that a try. I tend to use it for family stuff and particular events, but rarely just go out to shoot with it generally.

-Ray

Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it.

@pniev ...Melbourne is a really cool place but you have to work for it in a sense because the city is so vast from end to end, Melbournes 'things to do' are very spread out, like with any travel in Australia, you simply need a lot of time.

@bluzcity @KillRamsey ...thanks guys, I do enjoy the process that comes after the click, the darkroom stuff, perhaps one day I'll really nail a certain style or aesthetic that is truly my own, until then I'll continue to enjoy the unpredictability of not knowing how each image will come out the other end.

@Luke ...cold without snow! ..urghhh (frustrated snowboarder envious of northern winters).

@Ray Sachs ...you are right about the way I've been shooting with it, its still a 'new to me' lens so I have been walking around with it on the camera only swapping to my more 'regular' focal lengths when the need arises...the exact inverse of how I'd normally shoot.

@kyteflyer ...Sue, I couldn't recommend the lens highly enough, it excels in every way optically speaking and has justifiably received lavish praise...its optical performance far exceeds it's (relatively speaking) low(ish) price. It is however a substantial and weighty lens, it takes a lot of glass to make a lens this good...I've seen smaller zooms!

@kyteflyer ...Sue, I couldn't recommend the lens highly enough, it excels in every way optically speaking and has justifiably received lavish praise...its optical performance far exceeds it's (relatively speaking) low(ish) price. It is however a substantial and weighty lens, it takes a lot of glass to make a lens this good...I've seen smaller zooms!
It's just barely smaller and barely lighter than the Nikon 24-120 f4, as is the 24mm Art lens. The 50 f1.4 Art is slightly smaller but actually heavier than the Nikon zoom. That 24-120 is bigger than I like to carry for walk-around shooting, so that's what kept me away from the Art lenses - the size and weight was a non-starter. But other than that, they're incredible lenses at really good (relatively speaking) prices. To me a 24 and 35 prime has to be a walk-around lens and they're just bigger than I'd be willing to use them for in that role. But if you're OK with the size/weight, they're about as good as it gets. Short of an Otus, but not very far short of an Otus and at less than 20% of the price...

-Ray

I'll have to check the weights then. I think the 35 and the 50 are all thats available in K Mount. But, if they are heavier than what I have, I'll probably have to stay away, too.

Sue, a native lens designed for an APSC sensor would probably be your best bet.....sigma does a 30/1.4 Art for the K mount....at about $400 is decent value but certainly not in the same league optically as the FF 35/1.4 Art......and then there is the Pentax FA31/1.8 which by all reports is a really really fine lens...but costs almost 3 times as much as the K mount Sigma. !

Sue, a native lens designed for an APSC sensor would probably be your best bet.....sigma does a 30/1.4 Art for the K mount....at about $400 is decent value but certainly not in the same league optically as the FF 35/1.4 Art......and then there is the Pentax FA31/1.8 which by all reports is a really really fine lens...but costs almost 3 times as much as the K mount Sigma. !

Thanks, Joe. I've checked the specs and have decided against. I'm starting to double up on focal lengths in search of the right lens, and in truth, I probably have what I need. the FA31 is one I have always wanted but I bought the DA35 Ltd instead :) I guess I'll stick with that.

Back