1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A very important window

Discussion in 'Other < 1" Sensor Cameras' started by theoldsmithy, Feb 23, 2016.

1. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I visited Lacock Abbey over the weekend. It was the home of William Henry Fox Talbot, inventor of the photographic negative. This window was the one he photographed to produce the first negative in 1835. He then said nothing about his work until Daguerre started his positive-only method and something of a spat ensued about who invented photography first, although really they were very different methods. Anyway, I felt I had to capture this. I only had my iPhone with me but that seemed appropriate somehow.

IMG_0177.

• Like Like x 6
  2. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    That must have been special to be there and realize how much photographic technology has evolved. To me it seems that the iphone was the appropriate tool to use in this case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Ah, the world's most famous oriel window. It wasn't that long ago, ironically, that you wouldn't have been allowed to take that photo. Lacock is owned by the National Trust these days and, bunch of fascists that they are, they did not allow photography inside any of their properties. Their feeble excuses varied from "flash will damage the exhibits" (then just ban flash) to "thieves will know what's in there to steal" (so don't sell photos of the interiors in your gift shop then...) They had to bow to public pressure in the end.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

It's interesting to me to see so much discussion on the 1830's origins of photography, when scientists who have studied a certain mediaeval burial cloth are insisting that it contains a near-perfect photographic negative of a man's body, full size, and was put there hundreds of years before.