Film A winter stale

I think if you like square and compact, a Mamiya 6/6MF is the ticket. It also has three really nice lenses for the system.

If you like that Fuji, then look for a Bronica RF645 as well as it has interchangeable lenses. And Fuji made a 6x45 model with autofocus and zoom lens (three focal lengths to be more accurate).

I did most of my documentary work with medium-format cameras--Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612 were my two favorites.

Yes, as I said above, the 6 was top of the list - but the prices are crippling.

I'd prefer another 6x6 over a 645 but one has to compromise sometimes.

Bronica C2/S2 also looked good but are quite difficult to find and are getting on in years. Should something need repair it would likely prove difficult and expensive.

In the meantime the Fuji will be good enough. It has a good rep for mechanical quality, is quite simple and if the meter dies is still usable. So long as I avoid whacking the lens assembly (which the "bull bar" is supposed to prevent :rolleyes:) it should last well.

There is simply not as large a selection of good quality used cameras available in the UK as the US. We have no equivalent of KEH for instance, either in terms of selection or prices.

Importing can be expensive with carriage, import duties and VAT offsetting any apparent bargain prices from US or Japanese traders. And of course can get complicated should there be problems.

I think if you like square and compact, a Mamiya 6/6MF is the ticket. It also has three really nice lenses for the system.

If you like that Fuji, then look for a Bronica RF645 as well as it has interchangeable lenses. And Fuji made a 6x45 model with autofocus and zoom lens (three focal lengths to be more accurate).

I did most of my documentary work with medium-format cameras--Mamiya 6 and Horseman SW612 were my two favorites.

That's a camera I really want, but I won't sell my Hasselblad and lenses to get, so.... It ain't happening anytime soon. I want to go back to Asia in 2014 (a bit of a pipe dream, but not wholly), and I'd love to have the Mamiya 6 with me. We'll see. In the meantime Gary has inspired me to practice street with the Hassy.

Congrats Paul - I've been watching your film photographs as I am slowly catching up.(y)

You guys do make me laugh...and smile. My darkroom days are long over, however I do have many fond memories and a good old friend had a beautiful Hasselblad that I coveted greatly.

I just finished my new (and much smaller) darkroom, and spent time printing last night and this morning for the first time in a couple of years. It just felt so comfortably familiar, in a way I suspect digital never will to me. I love my digital cameras, and Photoshop lets you do things that you end up having to do handstands to get done in a darkroom, but I don't believe I'll ever be as good at "post processing" as I was as a black and white printer with some good fiber paper and a bit of selenium for the final treatment. It felt grand to be doing something I know I can do well, even if, of course, if I do screw up sometimes.

Congrats Paul - I've been watching your film photographs as I am slowly catching up.(y)

You guys do make me laugh...and smile. My darkroom days are long over, however I do have many fond memories and a good old friend had a beautiful Hasselblad that I coveted greatly.

I just finished my new (and much smaller) darkroom, and spent time printing last night and this morning for the first time in a couple of years. It just felt so comfortably familiar, in a way I suspect digital never will to me. I love my digital cameras, and Photoshop lets you do things that you end up having to do handstands to get done in a darkroom, but I don't believe I'll ever be as good at "post processing" as I was as a black and white printer with some good fiber paper and a bit of selenium for the final treatment. It felt grand to be doing something I know I can do well, even if, of course, if I do screw up sometimes.

Congrats. I haven't been in a darkroom in decades. I hope you get years of pleasure.

Gary

Paul.
I think you'll like that Fuji GS645S. I shot this with mine about a week ago, and it is one of the first prints I made in the new darkroom. The flaws in the image are not the camera's fault, and bear in mind I haven't been in a darkroom for a while, and I'm working with a new enlarger. All that said, it's a fun camera to shoot. And it's sort of "compact" for a medium format.

I'm enjoying it a lot, quite a few rolls have gone through it already, and have been posted both here and on my Flickr stream.

I'll probably have a darkroom session in the next few days and see if I can get a print off a frame or two. But enlarging is pretty new to me and my facilities are not conducive to a calm approach (yes, I know Weston could print in a cupboard with an Edison lamp and a bit of glass, but my knees hurt like hell after half an hour crouched on the floor in my bathroom and then I start to forget to stop down or count or something; and I'm not Weston)

Stand by for the next instalment, however ... there have been developments (pun unintentional)

Luke will remember that I have always rather scorned the idea of the TLR, regarding them as I do as "old men's cameras" ...

And then, through a chapter of accidents and a desire to acquire some paper suitable for lith, I ended up in the house of a recently deceased professional printer/photographer.

This was in a cabinet.

It looked shiny and pretty.

I bought it.

A couple of minor problems which I didn't spot at the time so I probably overpaid, but nothing that stop it working properly. And I got a set of genyouine Rollei Bay-1 filters and hood with it.

I now have more cameras than I can carry (and less money than I need to live).

I now have more cameras than I can carry (and less money than I need to live).

I understand completely. I hate the second part but love the first part; what to do??
I had a Yashica mat 124G at one point. Nice little camera.
The Agfa Isolette is sweet -- but don't isolate with it.

TLRs are to my retro-fetishised ideal, the ULTIMATE camera. AND that one looks damn nice. The Agfa is pretty sweet, but I'd pick that Yashica.

I don't know who said it, but it's been quoted so many times it makes me throw up a little bit in my mouth, so I'll give it a twist......"The most important camera is inevitably the one you couldn't carry with you (because you have too many)"

Congrats on your new acquistions.

Back