1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A7 vs A7R shutter sounds

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Archiver, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yesterday I went to a shop and handled the A7R, and I was abjectly taken aback by the shutter sound. What the heck was this WHZZH-CHUNK-CHACK??? For such a small mirrorless camera, it was like a Morris Minor with a truck horn. Shooting with this in a museum or chamber music concert would be like farting loudly in a quiet classroom.

A7 and A7R users: how do you find the shutter sound, and how do you deal with it? I'm tempted by this camera but the shutter sound was surprisingly disturbing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    The A7 has a first curtain electronic shutter, so is less intrusive. It's not super quiet but mostly fine.

Gordon

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    A7 is absolutely fine. loud, yes, specially compared to my leaf shutter GR. but is not a problem at all. I dont know how much louder or quieter it is compared to the A7r, but mine sounds only louder than my OMD which is fine. Obviously inside a church it will be heard, but not across the room just the person at my side.

• Like Like x 1
  4. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    A7 (front curtain enabled) is louder than my OM-D, but I don't think it is obnoxious.

• Like Like x 2
  5. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, A7R is loud for a mirrorless. Here is a vibration comparison for A7R shutter & it is similar to a dslr:
    http://beforethecoffee.com/sony-a7r-vibration-comparison-with-nikon-d3-and-sony-nex-7/

I don't know how loud A7 is but these are FF 1/8000sec shutters, eg gx7 w/ 1/8000sec shutter is louder then the e-m5 w 1/4000sec shutter. I use gx7 full w/ silent e-shutter. Also I felt A7R sounds worse when you are in a room then outside.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Uncomfortably loud.

I find it ironic that I have a silent mode on my Canon 7D DSLR which is impressively quiet and unobtrusive especially when in Mode 2. And yet in my hands I hold an absolute clacker of a mirrorless cam. I don't quite understand why that is.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    It seems that sony sold the only A7 to me, as it looks like most (if not, everybody) has bought the A7r. I wonder why? Am I missing something?. I still insist, in my experience the A7 shutter sound is 'normal' to me, when compared with any other FF dslr. nothing loud.

• Like Like x 2
  8. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    You and me. I'll get an R later if the lenses flesh out. Love the 7.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  9. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Me three, I have the A7 too. It was the last one in store.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bobbywise

bobbywise SC Regular

Jun 2, 2012
    Nantes, France
    Robert Wisbey
    I only have the A7, so cannot compare to the A7r.
    The A7 is a bit louder than my X-Pro1, but not too intrusive.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Nuskyn

Nuskyn SC Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    @Gelderland - the Netherlands
    Jeroen
    That's what i like on my Samsung EX-1, it can shoot in complete silent mode.... The Samsung NX-20 has a loud fake shutter sound that's always on.... :confused:

It must become standard on every camera : silent mode

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jul 3, 2010
    I don't find the A7R sound disturbing. Full frame and 1/8000s capable is usually gonna be on the louder side. I do love the silent mode on GX7 though!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

• Like Like x 1