Sony A7 vs A7R shutter sounds

Archiver

Top Veteran
Yesterday I went to a shop and handled the A7R, and I was abjectly taken aback by the shutter sound. What the heck was this WHZZH-CHUNK-CHACK??? For such a small mirrorless camera, it was like a Morris Minor with a truck horn. Shooting with this in a museum or chamber music concert would be like farting loudly in a quiet classroom.

A7 and A7R users: how do you find the shutter sound, and how do you deal with it? I'm tempted by this camera but the shutter sound was surprisingly disturbing.

A7 is absolutely fine. loud, yes, specially compared to my leaf shutter GR. but is not a problem at all. I dont know how much louder or quieter it is compared to the A7r, but mine sounds only louder than my OMD which is fine. Obviously inside a church it will be heard, but not across the room just the person at my side.

Yes, A7R is loud for a mirrorless. Here is a vibration comparison for A7R shutter & it is similar to a dslr:
Sony A7R Shutter ~~VIBRATION~~

I don't know how loud A7 is but these are FF 1/8000sec shutters, eg gx7 w/ 1/8000sec shutter is louder then the e-m5 w 1/4000sec shutter. I use gx7 full w/ silent e-shutter. Also I felt A7R sounds worse when you are in a room then outside.

It seems that sony sold the only A7 to me, as it looks like most (if not, everybody) has bought the A7r. I wonder why? Am I missing something?. I still insist, in my experience the A7 shutter sound is 'normal' to me, when compared with any other FF dslr. nothing loud.

It seems that sony sold the only A7 to me, as it looks like most (if not, everybody) has bought the A7r. I wonder why? Am I missing something?. I still insist, in my experience the A7 shutter sound is 'normal' to me, when compared with any other FF dslr. nothing loud.

You and me. I'll get an R later if the lenses flesh out. Love the 7.

Gordon

I don't find the A7R sound disturbing. Full frame and 1/8000s capable is usually gonna be on the louder side. I do love the silent mode on GX7 though!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Back