A7R $1549 at Adorama

I think it's the lack of native lenses. Had they released a few more lenses with the cameras I think they would be selling better.

Most probably these are Christmas returns since they priced same as A7 open boxes, so we'll see if the pricing is correct unless there is some kind of discounts that they receive from Sony like RX10...

Or perhaps the Internet echo chamber involving alleged shutter vibration issues with the A7r (real or unreal) may be having an impact on sales or causing people to return their just-purchased cameras. A personal friend of mine just had his new A7r delivered last week and returned it - unopened - after reading about the vibration issue. I'm not saying he should have done that - but he did.

I saw 2 posts that it is not available any more when you check it out:
Please note that the availability of Sony**alpha A7r Digital Camera has changed since you placed it in your Shopping Cart. Unfortunately, this item is no longer available on our site.

Vibration issue is there w/ A7R for long tele lenses (>100mm), but no more then a dslr mirror slap vibr. For most of the real world shooting, I didn't see any problems and I don't use a tripod normally. At home I even managed 1/15sec shot at 300mm at home w/ Canon 70-300mm IS lens....

A7 has electric first shutter, so it is only on A7R, but again I didn't see it as a problem in my hand held shooting... Tests were with a long tele lens supported with a tripod so the camera is open the vibrations since it is so light. It can be reduced by putting weight as recommended by L Chamber from the posts that I saw...

Is it a legitimate issue?

I think it's the lack of native lenses. Had they released a few more lenses with the cameras I think they would be selling better.

Yeah. It's an expensive camera. Leica, Nikon, and Canon have reputations, lenses, and an established user base. Even the EM1 had a whole mu43 lens base out there. It doesn't mean it won't work eventually, but they may need to "sow the field" with rebates for a while.

i really wonder if this whole 'lack of native lens' thing is overblown. i wonder if folks just saw these as compact FF somewhat inexpensive digital backs for their legacy glass, and maybe, yeah, ok, i'll get one 'normal' 35 or 50mm AF...i mean is there a whole class of folks out there looking to buy into a new FF system???

As expected:
Thank you for your order. Due to a technical glitch this item showed as in
stock even though it was sold.

At this moment we are not able to get more quantity to be able to
supply all open orders, we therefore have no other choice but to
cancel your order.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank You

B&H has used A7R for $1959 & A7 for $1455 if anybody is still looking for one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801025678-USE/Sony_ILCE7R_B_Alpha_a7R_Mirrorless_Digital.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801025679-USE/Sony_ILCE7_B_Alpha_a7_Mirrorless_Digital.html

i really wonder if this whole 'lack of native lens' thing is overblown. i wonder if folks just saw these as compact FF somewhat inexpensive digital backs for their legacy glass, and maybe, yeah, ok, i'll get one 'normal' 35 or 50mm AF...i mean is there a whole class of folks out there looking to buy into a new FF system???

I think you're onto something here. I suspect a very large percentage of A7/A7r buyers might be doing just this.

If I was going to move on the A7 system, it would not be for the native lenses. I have loads of Zeiss, Leica and Voigtlander lenses that would do very well with a smaller and less expensive Leica M240 alternative. With other adapters I could easily use the lovely Minolta and Pentax manual focus lenses also in my possession, and my modern Canon glass, if I really wanted.

But that darn shutter sound! I tried the A7R and was quite disturbed by how loud it was. Even if the A7 is more quiet, I can't see it being the same as, say, the Leica M9 shutter, which is my current maximum standard of shutter loudness.

Back