A7r with Leica Elmar 50/2.8

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by biglouis, Nov 29, 2014.

1. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    A few weeks back I bought a 35 cron to use with the A7r. I am so pleased with the results that I decided to bite the bullet and complete the set of Leica lenses I used to own by purchasing a second-hand Leica Elmar 50/2.8 (last version).

Except amongst the cognoscenti this is a much un-loved Leica lens so the prices are very good at present. Personally, I think it has excellent sharpness and bokeh (wide open) and should not be overlooked as a lens for any a Sony or Leica system.

Cat in the box (shot wide open at f2.8)
    _DSC0005-Edit.

Reed's Place, Kentish Town (f2.8)
    _DSC0038-Edit.

At f8 I find it makes an excellent landscape lens
    College Lane, Kentish Town (f8)
    _DSC0061-Edit-2.

• Like Like x 7
  2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Very nice at f8 and your cron 35 pics have been memorable :). Curious about your swapping from the 7 to the 7R?

• Like Like x 1
  3. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    Thanks. Yes, the 35/2 has been a great addition. When I owned a M8 my range was really 35-50-90 and I now have the 35/2, Elmar 50/2.8 and Elmarit 90/2.8 - all of which seem to work well on the A7/r.

A month or so ago curiosity got the better of me and I purchased a s/h A7r to see whether it really is superior to the A7. If I am honest there is little to choose between them. Being a bit of a camera snob I decided to keep the A7r and sell the A7 (which went very quickly). I suppose the ability to crop more severely and the lack of an AA filter is a small advantage and works especially well with non-native lenses. But if people ask me for an opinion, either camera produces excellent output - more then enough for any photographer, imho.

LouisB

• Like Like x 1
  4. ajramirez

ajramirez SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Beautiful shots, and the 50mm Elmar does seem to acquaint itself quite well with the A7r.

• Like Like x 1