about to abandon all hope

All I can say right now is "I love Gary Ayala".

a package arrived in the mail and not only was there a nice little charger inside, but there was also a pair of avocados, a pair of artichokes and a pepper from his garden!

My wife came home from work and saw the empty box on the kitchen counter and noticed the return address and she immediately got a big smile on her face and said "What did you get from Gary?". When I said a battery charger that I lost she started to frown, but then I showed her the rest of the bounty and her smile came back.

Thanks G, I owe you one.

My experience was that Serranos were some of the hottest, but I also remember them being much smaller. This must be some different kind. It's been a LONG time since I've had an artichoke (but I remember loving it). How do I know when it's ripe?

OK, I think you;re trying to trick this old man. A quick Google confirmed my suspicions. The serrano is 5 times hotter than the jalapeno. But I like the heat. I'll be sure to de-seed it first and have a little sample before it put it in the guacamole.

The bigger they get the less hot. De-seed (a single slice running the length of the fruit), roast it a bit then toss some crumbly Mexican cheese ... even a Feta into the slice. That's how that Santa Ana restaurant served it ... and it pretty good. The tag says Serrano, but Mary Lou and I also wonder if it was miss-ID'ed. The artichokes are good to go. Just steam them until the leaves easily pluck out (about 40 minutes YMMV). They're pretty tasty, Mary Lou and I will have a couple every other day for the next month or two during the season. The avocados aren't quite ripe, dump them in a paper bag then store in a cupboard/counter and check daily. I love my avocado tree, doesn't pump out a lot of fruit but it keeps 'em coming for most of the year.

PS- Wash the artichokes well, as little spider tend to hide under the outer leaves.
G

I freaked out one time when I was in Bora Bora and didn't have the right plug adapters for my laptop and camera battery charger. I was at an island resort for work and I'd be screwed if my batteries died on all my equipment!

I caused a blackout in the floor I was staying on at in the Novatel Hotel at Souvannaphoum Airport in Bangkok. Checked in, got to my room and plugged in something (forget what) with the wrong adapter. Sparks and lights out. The Thai are impeccably courteous, so all was well, the breaker was thrown, electricity restored to all, but I wonder what was said about the farang in room XZY.

That is how *everything* in my house gets lost - we "clean up" before company comes over (a.k.a. shuffle stuff around to someplace out of sight) and I end up sticking something in a box, bag, closet or the garage and promptly forget that I even moved it. Sometimes I eventually find it again :rolleyes:

Never ever put anything in a special "place for it" and never put anything away for company if you ever want to see it again. But I'm apt to growl, "where the hell are my keys?" only to find them in my left hand. So maybe I'm not the best person for advice on the matter.

Back