Leica Absence of Leica X Vario in this thread

If the X Vario had a level indicator, I'd likely still have it. I use that feature so often for scenes - keeps me from having to rotate and crop in post. I missed that, and I missed having image stabilization which would have made the slow lens more bearable for evening shooting. That and I'd wish it was a bit wider on the wide end.

The Fuji X-E1 with the 18-55mm or the 14mm can make gorgeous scenes with the right light. That's what I ended up staying with. APSC sensor, no AA filter, excellent lenses, level indicator, IS on the 18-55mm, built-in EVF. As much as I liked the X Vario, I couldn't justify the steep price versus what I already had more of.

Blimey!

Since starting this thread I never figured it would run to 7 pages. Mind you, that's Leica for you. Never one to shy away from courting controversy about its product management.

From a personal point of view my interest in the XV was piqued, I played with it courtesy of the very nice people at R G Lewis and politely declined any further interest.

Indeed not only have I never given the XV another thought, I have grown much closer to my RX1 and at the same time the next camera I purchased was a Ricoh GR.

Now there is a camera. I would say build quality on a par with the XV. Lovely magnesium body, fits like an extension of your hand, simple and easy to use button layout, single dial (the Apple philosophy of 'why have more than one button' on a mouse), logical firmware with extensive customisation. OK, it is fixed lens but the results from the sensor at base-iso are nothing short of fantastic and the sharpness sans AA filter is fantastic.

The results are easily as good as my M8 with the 28/2.8 ASPH - look at my Flickr stream if you don't believe me.

And if that were not enough to quell my interest in a XV then I have to say the new Sony RX10 has killed any interest I did have in the XV stone dead.

Shame really. I am a snob and I so wanted to like the XV.

LouisB

LOL! Put a 18-55 on the D3200, then let's talk about 'compact'. The actual body of the XV is much, much slimmer than the D3200. The dimensions of the XV include the lens - the D3200 doesn't have one, not in that comparison.

:)
We'll have to agree to disagree here then - To me the X Vario just isn't a Compact

:)
We'll have to agree to disagree here then - To me the X Vario just isn't a Compact

Yeah, guess so. By that definition, the Fuji X-E1 with 18-55 isn't a compact, nor is the Oly EM-5 with 12-50, nor is the Pana GX7 with 12-35. The only difference is that you can change the lenses on those cameras to pancakes, giving more of a compact feel. But in terms of the body, the XV is about the same size.

Indeed not only have I never given the XV another thought, I have grown much closer to my RX1 and at the same time the next camera I purchased was a Ricoh GR.

Now there is a camera. I would say build quality on a par with the XV. Lovely magnesium body, fits like an extension of your hand, simple and easy to use button layout, single dial (the Apple philosophy of 'why have more than one button' on a mouse), logical firmware with extensive customisation. OK, it is fixed lens but the results from the sensor at base-iso are nothing short of fantastic and the sharpness sans AA filter is fantastic.

The results are easily as good as my M8 with the 28/2.8 ASPH - look at my Flickr stream if you don't believe me.

And if that were not enough to quell my interest in a XV then I have to say the new Sony RX10 has killed any interest I did have in the XV stone dead.

Shame really. I am a snob and I so wanted to like the XV.

LouisB

The GR is a truly super camera. It's with me everywhere, and I have a hard time coming to terms with it comparing very favourably with the M9 + Elmarit 28/2.8. Where it lacks in shallow depth of field and subtle colour variation, it makes up for in close focusing, speed and ease of use, high ISO and stealth.

The new RX10 isn't really an XV alternative, primarily due to the sensor size. As good as the RX100 is, it just doesn't pump out image quality in good aps-c league, and the RX10 has the same sensor and a slightly updated image processor. Certainly, it will be more versatile and useful than the XV, but I'm doubtful about whether the image quality will be at the same level.

Yeah, guess so. By that definition, the Fuji X-E1 with 18-55 isn't a compact, nor is the Oly EM-5 with 12-50, nor is the Pana GX7 with 12-35. .

Agreed 100%
In my mind, they are not Serious Compacts either...:)
(Look at my signature & you'll see what I consider to be "compacts")

Someone in the past asked if the Pentax K-5 was a serious compact and that was generally accepted. I think serious compact is also a state of mind. Even still, compared to most of what I see around the Leica XV is still compact, particularly for its potential. The GR is the ultimate serious compact in that it is very light and compact and offers serious IQ short of medium format (the GR and Pentax 645D are in fact close, but given their respective formats they have inherent different characteristics). My quibble has been that Ricoh does not extend the GR to more focal lengths.

I think there would, in all honesty. There are two big elephants in the XV room; one will fade in the memory over time, the other cannot be changed.

The first is the abysmal launch; the whole "mini M" thing was so ill-conceived I can only assume that Leica marketing were smoking something on the day. A whole lot of expectation was built up then dashed; people were - and still are - royally pissed by that.

The second problem is more fundamental. The XV is just off the pace in so many ways, from haptics and handling to lens and clip-on evf. It is overpriced for what it delivers and no amount of wishful thinking will ever change that. I for one so wanted it to be a viable success but it has failed to deliver. I borrowed one for a few hours just after launch, and found it beautifully made, solid as a brick - and not up to the job. If you compare, as many do, the XE1 and now 2 to the XV, Fuji has Leica beat by every key measure. As a Leica owner for more than 20 years I find that painful to admit, but it is true...

The first is the abysmal launch; the whole "mini M" thing was so ill-conceived I can only assume that Leica marketing were smoking something on the day. A whole lot of expectation was built up then dashed; people were - and still are - royally pissed by that.

I agree 100%. The marketing for the Vario was truly incompetent. It did not reflect the actual product, it created false expectations, they demonstrated that they didn't understand their market, they were out of touch with their long-term customers, and misled new potential customers.

I am still pissed at them for the misleading marketing they did for the M240 when they emphasised the video function as a filmmaker's tool, which turned out to be a complete disappointment after release.

And I'm speaking as someone who is solely dedicated to my only carry-everywhere-everyday Leica, in spite of owning a range of professional level cameras to serious compacts.

I agree 100%. The marketing for the Vario was truly incompetent. It did not reflect the actual product, it created false expectations, they demonstrated that they didn't understand their market, they were out of touch with their long-term customers, and misled new potential customers.

I am still pissed at them for the misleading marketing they did for the M240 when they emphasised the video function as a filmmaker's tool, which turned out to be a complete disappointment after release.

And I'm speaking as someone who is solely dedicated to my only carry-everywhere-everyday Leica, in spite of owning a range of professional level cameras to serious compacts.

I am afraid Leica has become completely detached from reality in most of its products. From lenses and cameras which take months if not years to fulfil to failure to create cash cows with Panasonic in the mass market. A brand which sadly deserves to die, imho and is only kept going by fanatical snobs. I know, I was one of them. Thanks to a great deal of internet counselling I can say I am no longer a Leicaholic and I have been clean for over 13 months and counting.

LouisB

PS Of course, that doesn't mean I might not have a relapse... one day at a time is my motto.

I'm still a Leicaholic. I am reminded almost everyday why I love taking photos with a rangefinder. In the past couple of weeks I have been swayed somewhat by the possibility of the GX7 and/or going all out with a 5DmkIII but the simplicity of the rangefinder always pulls me back.

I am afraid Leica has become completely detached from reality in most of its products.

From what I understand Leica is one of the few if not the only profitable camera company. It's hard to argue against that.

The Olympus 12-40mm lens arrived today for my E-M1, so the XV is going to be listed for sale soon. The E-M1 is better suited to when I use a zoom. I was also using the XV primarily at 50mm as a 50mm mirrorless camera, but I still prefer the Ricoh GXR. We've been friends a long time and get along well. So it goes.

Back