Adding watermark / copyright to images

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    To protect your own work one can add a watermark / copyright to their images.
    Some of these seem to be hand written, lovely.
    I like to be able to add customized text to my images.
    Which (open source = free) software is available?
    Is it possible (how) to avoid others to manipulate images?
    Any track down software available which can be helpful to find own work on the internet? (to check for abuse)
    Comments are welcome, thanks in advance.

Oh, Bill give us a few glasses of beer, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    One glass at a time Herman - I use a free (for personal use) program called TSR Watermark Image but there are quite a few others.

Because you can show large images on this site they are more likely to be "borrowed".

• Like Like x 2
  3. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    • Like Like x 2
  4. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    I've been using a Flickr import plug-in with Lightroom 3. Just drag your image to drop-down and press "Publish". I designed the watermark and have it set up to run automatically during the Publish script - I made that sound complicated and very learned because I'm a technonumpty - it's all just a series of drop-downs. Anyway, very easy and very very good!

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Have you just coined that term, Mark? "Technonumpty"?:friends:

• Like Like x 1
  6. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Schucks thanks BB. I have left a legacy....

However, I fear us Luddites are a dying breed. We'll age off soon enough or die too early from our labours. Now please excuse me while I harness up the horses to plough my fields. Thems 'taters aint gonna plant themselves...

• Like Like x 2
  7. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    One of my bestest other pals, is a Luddite, Mark.

Have fun in the fields with the horses and please pace yourselves - you and the horses.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. PeterB666

PeterB666 SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Copyright laws vary slightly from country to country, for example, copyright is automatic in Australia and there is no need to add a copyright symbol or anything else. This may be in the case in most countries.

Anyway, I normally add a copyright symbol, year and my name. The reason? As many will know I do a lot of dawn seaside photography and started to find my photos on a number of "christian"* sites to indicate the glory of God and creationism. Never mind the theft and lack of credit to the owner of the photos. I would just like to remind there is a commandment "Thou shalt not steal".

* Note the deliberate use of lower case here. I don’t consider compulsive thieves to be Christian.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PeterB666

PeterB666 SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

I wouldn't have thought there were many Luddites in photography. I would expect that being a bona fide Luddite, you would have to restrict yourself to a pinhole camera.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Yeah fair call. I might have 'sexed' things up a little. I don't have a pinhole or a box brownie. Though some say that a Sigma DP is not far off. I recall a reviewer commenting that having that IQ with such UI is analogous to having a V8 motor taped onto a billy cart frame - with rope and cross bar steering and cricket bat brakes. But I digress.....

• Like Like x 1
  11. bilzmale

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    There is a free for 24 hours copy of Easy Watermark Studio available at Giveaway of the Day. Comes free but no support or upgrade path. I've tried it and it is quite well featured with lots of control. Sells for $25 (or if you want the full paid version for future support/upgrade it's $20 with this offer).

• Like Like x 2
  12. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks Bill, unfortunately it does not support Vista...which runs on my computer.

13. bilzmale

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Have you tried installing as Administrator?