Adobe Releases Public Beta of Lightroom 4.

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by bilzmale, Jan 10, 2012.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    • Like Like x 4
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    FINALLY the ability to modify individual RGB curves instead of only the tone curve! This has been, to me, by far the greatest omission in LR3... Also the option to apply noise reduction and white balance locally is pretty interesting!

I'm definitely going to download this! Too bad they probably won't release the final version while I'm still a student, but alas :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    dioesn't the education licence entitle you to upgrades "in perpetuity" ?

• Like Like x 1
  4. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    hmm I'd have to look into that, if that's the case I'll just buy LR3 now... thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Looks pretty good but the video bit looks pretty awesome. I love the way you can add effects/presets to the video. I hope it's a free upgrade but i think it probably won't be :frown:

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    One 411MB download later ... first thing I noticed was the replacement of Exposure/Recovery/Fill Light/Blacks/Brightness/Contrast with Exposure/Contrast/Highlights/Shadows/Whites/Blacks

• Like Like x 1
  7. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    This is a more significant announcement than any number of Fujis, Canons or whatever.

I've been playing with this all day now and it is a great upgrade. LR4 retains much of LR 3 - all that you have learned will not need to be relearned - but adds some excellent new features. Video and mapping is of no interest to me but will be a boon for those who are into those features. For those who print seriously, the soft proofing feature looks both comprehensive and easy to use.

The changes in the develop module are also for the better: more options in the graduated filter and adjustment brush and, three cheers and more, they have finally got rid of the exposure/brightness/fill light mess and come up with a more rational and sensible approach. According to M Reichmann in his introductory video, quoting from an Adobe engineer, the new approach in the Basic panel is designed to reflect some underlying changes in how LR handles files. As noted the Tone Curve panel can now apply changes on individual RGB channels - great change.

The other big new feature for me is the ability to design books (in partnership with blurb) from within LR.

Andy, this will not be a free upgrade. If you already have LR 3 my guess is you'll pay $100 for this. If you are buying from scratch $300. However, bearing in mind that much of the discussion on these forums in recent days has concerned $1500 cameras and $600 lenses, LR is a bargain.

The Reichmann video is definitely worth a look if you are at all interested in this.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thank you so much for all this information, Bill! Maybe this is "why" I have yet to make my photo books?:wink:

Sounds extremely promising. I'll definitely check out the videos, etc.

So the Beta is free and acts as a trial until the full fledged model comes out?

P.S. I just checked with my husband to make sure he's up-to-date and thankfully, he is.

• Like Like x 1
  9. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    The Beta is free - it's a good way for Adobe to have LR4 tested before putting the commercial version out. You can't import catalogues from the existing version and you won't be able to import anything you do in the Beta version into the final version but Adobe reckon that by the time you have used it for a couple of months you'll be sold.

I've been using it for about five hours and I'm already sold.

• Like Like x 2
  10. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I've crashed it a few times already :wink: ...

• Like Like x 1
  11. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    wow - LR for me is a "must have" - I'll be downloading and upgrading from LR 3.6

I have now forgotten how to do even the simplest things in photoshop ............... but there are still a few simple things that I need - i.e. can you put a border are your image in LR?

12. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    See link below:

Photoshop Lightroom

Also presets available form a variety of sources.

• Like Like x 1
  13. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    WOW! This is a great. DPR has a fantastic overview starting here: Lightroom 4 Public Beta: What's New: Digital Photography Review

A couple of "what else is in the box" is IMO some nice stuff!
    Lightroom 4 Public Beta: What's New: Digital Photography Review

• How about presets organized into folders! (only took them to v4 to get this, lol)
    • Ability to shut off modules by right-clicking on the name (e.g. I NEVER use the web module)
    • E-mail images directly from LR
    • NR effects rendered in previews OTHER than just 1:1 (yeah!)

• Like Like x 1
  14. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    Where did you see that? In LR1 and 2 you have most certainly been able to convert from the beta to the final release.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  15. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Olli means in terms of the beta. As it's a beta, and not final, you cannot import catalogs. You can import pictures, and make adjustments, but you can't bring in your catalog.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bugleone

Bugleone SC Regular

Jun 1, 2011
    England
    If, like me, you are using windows XP then don't bother downloading as it will not run..

17. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    My apologies flash. Of course the LR4Beta catalogue will open in LR4. What I was trying to say is that since LR3 catalogues will not open in LR4Beta when LR4 is released if you have been using individual images in LR4Beta that are also in your LR3 catalogue or importing from your LR3 catalogue you will end up with duplicates of the images in question. Which, if not a huge problem, is a little untidy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 SC Regular

Nov 11, 2010
    Hmmmmm.....

Is anyone aware of whether or not 3rd party plug-ins will still work w/the new version, ala NIK and Topaz?

19. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Oh, I'm sure they will - LR would be insane if they didn't.

20. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Yes they do. All your existing plugins continue to work in the Beta version and will work in the commercial version.

• Like Like x 1