Fuji Advice on XF18mmF2R needed

seukel

Rookie
Hello,

as far I understand the XF18mm lens is generally considered as being not so good as the XF35 or Xf60 mm lenses. It is, however, a very light and small lens, which means that it could be very convenient in combo with the X-E1. The 18-55 zoom is of course only slightly slower and has IS, but is bigger and heavier. Together with the 18mm lens the x-e1 could easily be carried in a coat pocket, I think. What's your experience of the optical quality, AF-speed etc of the 18mm? Is it worth the candle?

Peter

Hi
I think the key part of the question is the phrase "not so good". The 18 isn't as stellar as the other two, but in my experience its more about the 35 and 60 being so good. I've been very happy with the 18. It focuses very quickly, and I think only serious pixel peeping will reveal anything amiss.

It's every bit "as good" as my Nikon 28mm G series and my Nikon 28mm AI-S. Is as good as the Nikon 24mm F1.4 G. Nope? That lens costs $1500. For it's price it's one of the best 28mm (equivalent) lenses I've ever used. The 35mm and 60mm are just incredible lenses when you figure in the price. Optically, they really should cost about $300-$400 more than they do. I use the 18mm Fuji all the time. Great lens.

I only have the 18 and 35. I have more of a wide angle eye, so I use the 18 about 90% of the time with this camera. I guess its not perfect, but you have to do some pretty serious pixel peeping to see much wrong with it. I love it. Fastest AF of the X-lenses so far too, although I'd expect the new zoom and 14mm to change that.

-Ray

No personal experience here, but I remember Thom Hogan saying the the worst Fuji X lens (18) was as good as the best native lens available on a competing system. :tongue:

No personal experience here, but I remember Thom Hogan saying the the worst Fuji X lens (18) was as good as the best native lens available on a competing system. :tongue:

Thank you all for your input. Now I just have to figure out which prime lens to get together with the zoom (two would exceed my means). The 35 mm for its stellar IQ or the 18 mm for its smaller size and faster AF. :confused:

everyone is different, but since the zoom will be the fastest focusing of the bunch, I'd go with the 35, but then I just LOVE that focal length. For me it's a more normal everyday focal length. I don't do "wide" as often. Whichever one you choose, you will have a great lens. ;)

Back