Advice Please

Discussion in 'Photography Techniques' started by ReD, Dec 17, 2015.

1. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Looking for advice on how best to get some decent images of this
    Cameras available - X10 /F660 /Cosina C1 film with a couple of lenses 50 28 & 70-150 macro zoom
    Lighting - Ratio - Composition etc

Its a small sculpture from found objects part matt part shiny

Two Figures
    by Roger Evans, on Flickr​
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 SC Top Veteran

Feb 6, 2015
    Central Ohio, USA
    In order for us to help you, we need more information. What are you looking to do?
  3. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    To capture and show the essence of the figures - I suppose I don't know what I want to do until I achieve it
  4. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    I would use a white paper backdrop and softer light, using an umbrella, soft box, or shooting through a diffuser. Bouncing the flash off the ceiling or a sheet of white foam board would also work.
  5. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    I would first put your camera down. Next I would spend some quality time looking at the object from different angles, distances, light. Pick it up, run your fingers over it. Let yourself really see and feel the object. You might find you view the object differently afterwards and see the picture you want to make. Finally pick up the camera and shoot. The object isn't going anywhere so you have time to experiment with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks Karen, Antonio - I will take the advice on board - could make a useful exercise in January's dull days
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    The X10 should be fine. I agree a seamless white backdrop with bounce lighting would be a good start. I'd also consider a tripod shot with a low ISO so you don't end up having to remove noise thus cutting the detail of the sculpture down.
    Good luck.
    . . .David
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    I would turn out all the lights and do a long exposure. And I might experiment with a flickering candle in different positions in the room and repeat.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    ^ In the same vein as what Luke says, I'd basically try to control / dictate the lighting, one way or another. Sans-flashes via long exposure, or with flashes if you're equipped. But dramatic side-lighting could really accentuate those textures.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dalethorn

dalethorn SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2013
    Charleston SC
    same as user name
    Try b&w (and maybe with some antiquing), then color after that.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1