1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

AF problems on Tamron 18-270

Discussion in 'Projects/Repair' started by Julien, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Don't know if it's the right forum for this but:

I've had some AF problems with my Tammy 18-270 for a short while, and since yesterday it seems like it's gone for good. It hunts forever and never acquires any target, even the most "contrasty" ones I can point it to (be it moving or static subjects). I've used alcohol to clean up the contacts on the mount (lens and camera) to no effect. The lens itself seems clean and hasn't fallen or anything.

Manual focusing works ok but isn't exactly practical for my use. Stabilisation works fine. It's been out of warranty for a while. Any suggestion?

2. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    That's a bummer. Sorry to hear that. Is that the newest version with the PZD focus motor? Which camera is that for? Canon or Nikon? I'd suggest contacting Tamron, even if it's out of warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  3. texascbx

texascbx SC Veteran

Jul 10, 2010
    Canton Texas
    Ricky
    Must be an an old Tamron because the new ones have a six year warranty. My 18-250 warranty is expired because it's a grey market lens.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    It's the old version for F mount (Nikon). But warranty in Europe works differently than the rest of the world anyway: it's usually 1 year, never more than 2, no matter the manufacturer. International warranties like Tamron's work everywhere *except* in Europe, where we have "European Warranty'.

More information here for anyone interested: Tamron Europe: European Guarantee Card

I will contact Tamron to see what they offer.

5. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Sorry Julien! Hope Tamron can resolve the problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Forgot to mention than the lens has come back from Tamron and they apparently changed the whole AF motor "thing". I haven't had the chance to really use it as I've been sick and in bed a good part of the week but if anything I'd say the AF is a bit faster than before. Anyway, will try to add a couple pics to the "Show Birds" thead in the coming days :smile: