Airships Article

The use of cow's intestines - known as goldbeater's skin - originated with a business in the UK run by the Weinling family that made small toy balloons. One of the first commanders of the British Balloon Factory (the origin of Farnborough as an aviation centre in late 19th Century btw) had the idea of making full-sized balloon covers in the same way.
It's remarkable stuff, that cows' intestine. To join two skins together, you just need to wet the edges, overlap them a bit and then press them together. After a while they form an airtight seal - actually a hydrogen-tight seal, which is even harder to achieve. No glue required.

-R

Oh President Arthur, wasn't he responsible for round table in the Oval Office?

Lol! I was on my way to Google that before I got it!
Actually (fun facts to know and tell) he established the Civil Service (instead of all government jobs being handed out as "pork" with each change of administration) and of more importance to the book, instituted the National Bureau of Weights and Measures. Count on me to find a science fiction book that makes use of the National Bureau of Weights and Measures!

Of course, the Hindenberg disaster freaked everyone out. I saw a documentary somewhere that indicated that it was the surface coating that was at fault, not the hydrogen, but I'm travelling and barely internet capable, I can't find the link now.

Back