Fuji Almost slipped backwards...

Ok ok, I could resist no longer, it's goodbye X-Pro 1, hello Canon 1Ds Mkii! I still have the Leica X1 so I believe I can still hang here, I am weak but my arms will be getting much stronger no doubt, lifting this up to my eye! It's fabulous BTW Gary.

1DSMKII ISO 3200, 200mm L, f/2.8
2CBL2743-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

578414438_psNdm-L.jpg

578414871_rdTi2-L.jpg

2CBL2684-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Memories ...

Good Luck and Good Shooting,

G

Anyone else have an occasional lapse of judgement when trading/buying/selling that you don't mind sharing a laugh about now?

Yup... We don't have trading in this town, not with the one camera store that exists here (I won't count department store camera sections, but they dont do it either)... without a second hand licence they don't trade. So selling or trading privately is the only option.

I had a Pentax K200D. Sure, it was only an entry level, didnt have live view, only a 10Mp CCD sensor... but I really liked it. I bought a Kx, and sold that whilst keeping the K200D. I bought a K-r... and sold that whilst keeping the K200D. I bought a K-5... and sold the K200D, and I have regretted that decision ever since. The K200D was all the DSLR I needed, for what I do. Yes, I like the K-5, but I have not "bonded" with it as I did with the K200D... I have no idea why. Spec for spec, *all* the others I have bought since the k200 have been superior... and yet, I liked the photographs I took with that, far more than anything I have taken since with the Pentaxes... and still do.

Dumb decisions.

Now, I keep wanting to sell the K-5 and lenses, because I really want an X-pro. I love my x100 and I really can't think I would feel any different about the x-pro. I do very little wildlife shooting these days so would not miss the longer focal lengths of my zooms. Would I regret doing it? hell yes. Sighhh.

I recently re-bought a new Pentax K-01 body because it was such a bargain. I still have my FA77 lens and thought that I would at least be able to use it. However, I didn't remember just how noisy the focus motor is on the fa77 coupled with the K-01. I'm considering part exchanging the whole lot for the Ricoh gxr and 50mm that I felt fitted in my hand so well and took such beautiful macros! Yet another costly mistake.

Wow, I though I had GAS issues! I'm a piker compared to some of you!

Everyone is selling off their compacts for full frame! The only reason I'd ever consider doing that would be if narrow DOF was a really high priority of mine, which it isn't. In terms of image quality, the APS and even m43 are getting so close now that the difference would never matter to me. Even in low light, if I can shoot comfortably at 6400 or even 3200 (which I can do with even my sub-compact RX100 now), I'm good. And in good light, I've never met a sensor I wasn't happy enough with.I know full frame is technically better for IQ in all sorts of measures, but its nothing I can see or would alter my final images a bit. And even the D600, which is relatively small for full frame, is way more than I want to carry, particularly with the associated lenses. But good for anyone who values that and doesn't mind carrying the gear - certainly no lack of amazing images coming out of those cameras... But if I ever need more in terms of image quality than I can get from the X-Pro 1, well, it'll probably come in some future X-Pro 4 or 5 or something. And I can't imagine anything more versatile than my m43 gear...

As for selling something and regretting it, I'd say only the LX5 qualifies for me. I bought one when they first came out, sold it after about a year when I got an X10, sold the X10 because of the orbs, and bought another new LX5 for less than I'd sold the previous one for... But that didn't last long either and now I have the RX100 which is no damn fun to shoot with but is so incredibly capable in all sorts of light... So the LX5 is the only thing I've regretted selling even a little bit and that was a pretty temporary condition. I guess the X100 was a bit difficult, but with the X-Pro replacing it, it really wasn't a tough call - I did have a bit of an emotional attachment to that camera though...

-Ray

Wow, I though I had GAS issues! I'm a piker compared to some of you!

Everyone is selling off their compacts for full frame! The only reason I'd ever consider doing that would be if narrow DOF was a really high priority of mine, which it isn't. In terms of image quality, the APS and even m43 are getting so close now that the difference would never matter to me. Even in low light, if I can shoot comfortably at 6400 or even 3200 (which I can do with even my sub-compact RX100 now), I'm good. And in good light, I've never met a sensor I wasn't happy enough with.I know full frame is technically better for IQ in all sorts of measures, but its nothing I can see or would alter my final images a bit. And even the D600, which is relatively small for full frame, is way more than I want to carry, particularly with the associated lenses. But good for anyone who values that and doesn't mind carrying the gear - certainly no lack of amazing images coming out of those cameras... But if I ever need more in terms of image quality than I can get from the X-Pro 1, well, it'll probably come in some future X-Pro 4 or 5 or something. And I can't imagine anything more versatile than my m43 gear...

As for selling something and regretting it, I'd say only the LX5 qualifies for me. I bought one when they first came out, sold it after about a year when I got an X10, sold the X10 because of the orbs, and bought another new LX5 for less than I'd sold the previous one for... But that didn't last long either and now I have the RX100 which is no damn fun to shoot with but is so incredibly capable in all sorts of light... So the LX5 is the only thing I've regretted selling even a little bit and that was a pretty temporary condition. I guess the X100 was a bit difficult, but with the X-Pro replacing it, it really wasn't a tough call - I did have a bit of an emotional attachment to that camera though...

-Ray

I still have my FF Canons ... I keep them not for the DOF, but for the lenses and the CAF. I think within six months Pany/Oly will have caught up with Canon with long, fast lenses so the only thing that keeps me from giving my FF away to friends and family would be the CAF (or µ4/3's lack thereof and an EVF that can refresh at a rate equal to the FPS). I can work around the complex, intermingling menus, the odd placement of dials and buttons (at least for my chubby hands) but I can't work the lack of CAF and lenses.

Lately, I've appreciated the size of the OM-D (before I never gave a rat's about camera size, but now I have developed an appreciation). I've also developed a level of familiarity with the OM-D, to a point where I am beginning to use them for more serious work (published stuff). I love the 75mm, just wish it was a bit longer (15mm to 25mm longer).

Gary

Do not have to many regrets of getting rid of any of my past cameras, mainly because I have held on too most of the ones that I liked using or meant something to me.
Still have my first camera a Kodak Brownie, picked up a copy of my first serious camera a Minolta HiMatic 7s a few years ago in Japan, still have my first Nikon F body, bought a second F last year but have dumped all of my other F2s, F3s, F4s, Canon EOSs, Hasselblad 500CMs, Bronicas, Sinar P 4X5 Contax 645s, Contax G1, Canon 1Ds Mk IIs, all but 1 of the Canon 1Ds Mk IIIs, all of the Canon 1D MKIVs, Olympus EP1&2, Panasonic GF1, the Leica Dlux III but still have a IV, all of the other p&S cameras from Canon, Nikon and Sony are gone.
Still have all of the Ricoh GRD I, II, III, IV cameras, the Mamiya RZ, the Fuji 680, Toyo 4X5 and 8X10, Contax G2, Contax TVS I and II, Minox 35, Nikon SP, Canon 1DX, Leaf AFI Hasselblad H2 and H4, Olympus OMD, Fuji X10, X100, XPro1, plus my long list of vintage miniature (16 mm and Minox), 110, 35 rangefinder, Polaroid, roll and cut film cameras.

As to the original OPs topic there is nothing on the market in hand hold able cameras than can compete with the versatility of the FF DSLRs, but honestly that need for me only applies for work, when shooting for myself much prefer shooting with the XPro1 and or OMD. For example yesterday shooting a small job for me shot about 3500 frames with a Canon 1Dx and 850 with the Leaf AFI, neither the OMD or Fuji could have kept up, but on the other hand I had 5 assistants, 3 tripods and a 35ft truck for all of the equipment not something I even want to think about when shooting for myself.

.... the only thing that keeps me from giving my FF away to friends and family would be the CAF (or µ4/3's lack thereof and an EVF that can refresh at a rate equal to the FPS). I can work around the complex, intermingling menus, the odd placement of dials and buttons (at least for my chubby hands) but I can't work the lack of CAF and lenses.
Gary, I certainly get the difference in CAF - seems to be one of the last things the CDAF engineers have to work out to get close to the level of PDAF. Its not an issue for how and what I shoot, but I surely get it. BUT, this is basically a PDAF vs CDAF issue, not full frame vs APS or some other crop sensor issue. The Nikon 1 cameras seem to have worked it out really well. And certainly there are a lot of fine APS DSLRs with very very good PDAF and CAF, no?

Telephoto shooting is a real real small part of my shooting, so the lack of fast long lenses doesn't bother me with m43, but I certainly get that too. To me, m43 is there for its incredible versatility and the Fuji X-Pro is there for even better IQ (particularly in low light) and for a total change of pace in the shooting experience, both of which I sometimes find to be somewhere between valuable and downright essential...

But I wasn't pointing my GAS comment at you anyway - you're just hanging onto something you already had along with your increasing use of the smaller format. But I'm pretty surprised by the number of folks going from stuff like the X-Pro and/or m43 back to full frame. I don't begrudge anyone anything they want to do and can afford, but its just so far from my own perspective that I have a bit of trouble understanding it...

-Ray

for me the main, main difference for work are the right speed, size of the buffer and the AF speed and accuracy of FF cameras over everything else, all the things that matter a lot when working but almost not at all when doing personall work

For example yesterday shooting a small job for me shot about 3500 frames with a Canon 1Dx and 850 with the Leaf AFI, neither the OMD or Fuji could have kept up, but on the other hand I had 5 assistants, 3 tripods and a 35ft truck for all of the equipment not something I even want to think about when shooting for myself.

And I get tired of carrying a tripod! :D

I have no regrets as I haven't sold anything. They just kinda pile up.

for me the main, main difference for work are the right speed, size of the buffer and the AF speed and accuracy of FF cameras over everything else, all the things that matter a lot when working but almost not at all when doing personall work

Bob, are the buffers and AF speed and accuracy necessarily better on full frame DSLRs or is it also true of high end APS DSLRs? I'd always been of the impression it was there in both, but I've got no personal experience, so I suppose I've just been guessing on that one. It seems that fast buffers and very fast and accurate PDAF could be done equally well regardless of sensor size, but even if it could be, maybe its NOT due to do the different market segments the products tend to be aimed at... If so, might the D600 fall down somewhat in these regards given that its targeted to a somewhat lower end full frame market?

-Ray

Bob, are the buffers and AF speed and accuracy necessarily better on full frame DSLRs or is it also true of high end APS DSLRs? I'd always been of the impression it was there in both, but I've got no personal experience, so I suppose I've just been guessing on that one. It seems that fast buffers and very fast and accurate PDAF could be done equally well regardless of sensor size, but even if it could be, maybe its NOT due to do the different market segments the products tend to be aimed at... If so, might the D600 fall down somewhat in these regards given that its targeted to a somewhat lower end full frame market?

-Ray

Yes Ray I would say you are correct, the FF and the High end APS chip cameras would tend to have those features, they also shoot well while being tether to a computer which any of the more less "pro" versions do not, which is yet another feature I do not need when shooting my own work.

Oh yeah, the focus box really bugs me, much prefer focus points. Actually, I'd prefer to design my own camera sorta like buying a car. Despite all my ranting, I'm still sticking with µ4/3, I think it is an exceptional compromise/blend between FF dSLR's and P&S's. With every roll-out of new equipment, the gaps between what I want and what is available become smaller.

G

Oh yeah, the focus box really bugs me, much prefer focus points. Actually, I'd prefer to design my own camera sorta like buying a car. Despite all my ranting, I'm still sticking with µ4/3, I think it is an exceptional compromise/blend between FF dSLR's and P&S's. With every roll-out of new equipment, the gaps between what I want and what is available become smaller.

G

I would love to able to trick out or modify my cameras just like I can with my car, guitar, bike or truck

Costco has the D600 (among other good high end cameras in stock and available to handle). I could not believe the size and weight of that camera. There is absolutely no way I would lug that around without a roller bag.

I got out of photography many decades ago, because my multi body and lens Nikon F film system got too bulky to fool with. The D600 with one zoom is twice the size and weight of a Nikon F with a trio of fast primes.

I have no doubt that it takes great images....but at what cost in convenience?

Perry

Costco has the D600 (among other good high end cameras in stock and available to handle). I could not believe the size and weight of that camera. There is absolutely no way I would lug that around without a roller bag.

I got out of photography many decades ago, because my multi body and lens Nikon F film system got too bulky to fool with. The D600 with one zoom is twice the size and weight of a Nikon F with a trio of fast primes.

I have no doubt that it takes great images....but at what cost in convenience?

Perry

My film Nikons all had motors, so not much dif in size/weight, between film and digital FF equipment. Between digital and film for what I shoot, there is a huge and significant difference in performance and ease of processing all in the favor of digital.

G

Yup, I will never go back. Too convenient and easy to develop and print with Lightroom and publish with Shutterfly rather than chemicals and an enlarger.

I very seldom kept the motor drive on the camera. Even then I was trying to keep weight and gear to a minimum. However my Nikon system came stateside. Overseas it was all Leica IIIgs and M3s. That was a light kit, but with all the modern complaints about fast autofocus I don't expect many of the young folks could even manage if you believe their posts on the gear forum.

Back