America WWII on the Home Front.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by bilzmale, Aug 11, 2011.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    An interesting collection of images of quite amazing quality given they are around 70 years old. P

LINK:

• Like Like x 2
  2. shinglj

shinglj SC Rookie

They are wonderful images and they are only still here because they were taken on Kodachrome . In my personal slide librarry taken over 50 years it's only the Kodachromes which are not showing signs of deteoriation -the Agfachromes are a magenta shadow of their former selves and the oldest Ektachromes are going the same way .
    Tx for posting the link to these great shots
    shinglj
    The Rolling Road

• Like Like x 2
  3. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    The quality and use of colour make these images appear like they were captured just yesterday. An interesing collection indeed.

4. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    One of the things I enjoyed about it is the opportunity to see that age in colour. Stupid as it sounds in my head the war is black and white. WWI on the other hand is an odd mash of greens and browns and blues except for red cross armbands. I know that sounds mental, but everything I've seen about it has been in that sort of palette - films, photos, drawings and with the earlier stuff, watercolours. I make a concerted effort to remember that it's not some massively different monotone world and that it was the real world that My grandparents were fighting in. And my Grandpa's stories about India, Burma, France and so on were certainly colourful!

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Bill, thank you so much for this link! There's a lot of food for thought in these photographs. At the end I found a pretty cool link to The Library of Congress's Photostream: Flickr: The Library of Congress' Photostream Perhaps I should start a separate thread. I would never have guessed that The Library of Congress has a Flickr account!

6. cool

Love any pic from this era, thanks for sharing.

These pics just prove the fact that you don't need 48 MP, split second Auto Focus, and all the other "must haves" to produce great pictures.