1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

An early Christmas present from Fuji for X-E1, X-E2, X-Pro1 and X-T1 users

Discussion in 'Fuji X Forum' started by Lightmancer, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. rbelyell

rbelyell SC Top Veteran

May 14, 2013
    NY Mtns
    i must say fuji is something. with all the updates they give for free, thatd have been like 7 new cameras for sony!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It's clear Fuji wants its customers to regard their cameras as investments, not just as consumer electronics. How refeshing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I knew this was coming today, but the Mrs needed the XT for our daughter's dance recital this afternoon (that I can't make it to). So... tomorrow. :(

5. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The only answer, Kyle: You must buy another Fuji camera today so that you can update the firmware while the other camera is being used. :biggrin:

6. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I don't see what choice I have.

7. PJacobs

PJacobs SC Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Paul
    NICE! AF+MF seems pretty handy.
    But too bad no classic film simulation for me. Hopefully Lightroom will incorporate it.

8. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Yeah why in the hell didn't XE-1 users get Classic Chrome?!

9. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Kyle, a little late to bring this up now....but the firmware was available before 0600 CST this morning. Took about 10 minutes, half of which was finding a suitable SD card for performing the update. So you could have had your XT1 updated before the family was awake!

10. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Chuck, don't tease the man :wink:

11. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    No it's fine - I did it last night. Couldn't wait. So far, I like the AF+MF a Lot. I'm about to see what the classic chrome test shots look like. Woo Hoo!

12. EyesUnclouded

EyesUnclouded SC Rookie

Oct 17, 2014
    I'm getting a XE-2 (probably tomorrow) and I'd appreciate impressions on the firmware upgrade for this model.

Once again, kudos to Fuji for supporting their user base in such a manner.

13. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    One issue I've found with AF+MF: My focus aid was Magnify before this upgrade, but I found I couldn't really keep using it with AF+MF. As soon as I'd turn the focus ring, it would magnify (of course), but there was no way to get it to UNmagnify back to the full frame so I could reframe. So now I'm trying out the digital split image.

14. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Bill - Thanks for the link.
    . . . David

15. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    I wound up killing AF+MF. It was too easily annoying. I would be holding the barrel of the lens, I'd AF, and then the ring would move and I'd lose focus.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PJacobs

PJacobs SC Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Paul
    Me too.. didn't use it and found the AF/MF icon (that can't be turned off) in the viewfinder annoying.
    The thing Kyle said also happened a few times.

17. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Ya know, I took a photo of my wife yesterday with the X Pro1 and my new 35/f2 and it had a really nice "creamy" look. I did the upgrade, took a similar picture this morning and I swear it looks, geez, I dunno, harsher? Admittedly, not exactly the same framing etc. but it is making me wonder. Maybe the focus is just more precise now or I missed the focus in the first shot. Admittedly, the first shot was at f2 and this mornings image was at 2.8. I guess some more images are definitely in order. Note the very not scientific LR comparison below. 'Just thinking out loud here.
    . . . David
    X Pro1 35mm Firmware Upgrade.

18. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Biggest difference to my eye is f2 vs f2.8. At f2, that lens is wide open, and that does cause it to soften up a little, I would think, just like the 23 f2 on the X100 series. That looks EXACTLY what the X100 does wide open vs stopped down even one stop.

19. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    Kyle - thanks for the reply. I'm thinking you are probably right on with this observation. I greatly appreciate your thoughts.
    . . . David

• Like Like x 1