1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

An essay by Randall Kelley over at Steve Huff Photo.

Discussion in 'Philosophy of Photography' started by bilzmale, Jan 20, 2011.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    • Like Like x 2
  2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Ah yes, I read this yesterday. I'm happy to agree with him. Any excuse to "need" a Leica M something :)

3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    A breath of fresh air, if you keep the mix right

Bill, I just finished reading this article. I think Randall Kelley's points are well taken. I don't want to give away to much - there are some great analogies that I'd love to quote here but don't want to spoil the read for anyone else.

I'm going to leave it a that for now, though I am tempted to go on and on.:wink:

So a big thank you, Bill, for bringing this linked article over here. :thumbup:

I haven't been reading photography blogs lately, but have often enjoyed Steve Huff's, as well as Kirk Tuck's and others.

4. AzPete

AzPete SC Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Yes and thanks, I read it also. Steve's site is wonderful for me...he has a different approach
    to photography and he has just moved to Arizona! (Not that that means anything).

Combined with this site and a few others....I'm content.

The 37th frame...: Steve who!

Thanks for sharing,
    Pete

5. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I like reading Steve Huff's reviews and blog. I've noticed in his reviews that he knows how to make a negative point sound 'ok', which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, but nevertheless he's a good writer and communicator.

About this article 'A Better Camera' I agree with it.

My 2cents worth of opinion regarding using better equipment is that for me personally, knowing I have good equipment in my hands, it's a good thing to know that if I produce bad photos it's because of my lack of photography skills and not because of a limitation of the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Interested to read Huff's review of the Ricoh GRDIII where he writes: "NO CAMERA, no matter HOW expensive will make you a better photographer." (His emphasis).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack SC Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Alsace, France
    But the cheaper the camera, the better you have to be... at marketing, anyway: "No, I really wanted the subject to be out of focus!"

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks olli!

And John, ""No, I really wanted the subject to be out of focus!" :biggrin: