An interesting little processing project

Discussion in 'Canon Forum' started by Jock Elliott, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    I was fooling around with my G12 when I saw this squirrel huddling from the wind behind a tree just outside our sun room.

I shoot at full zoom and full digital zoom through four layers of glazing.

Here's the image I started with:

Squirrel (Large).JPG
    Here's the result after processing it with the Canon "Pro" software. I reduced the brightness, cranked up the saturation, and boosted the contrast, Unfortunately, there wasn't much I could do with the sharpness.
    Squirrel2 (Large).JPG

In all, I'm very pleased with the results, even though they look pretty fuzzy at 100% and with what the G12 can do.

Maybe someday I'll figure out how to insert large images into my posts.

- Jock

2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    something like this?
    [​IMG]

(to post large pics, place these brackets: [​IMG], and paste the image location url inbetween these brackets without spaces (to get the url, right-click on the image, then click on "copy image location" if available, or click "properties" and then copy the location url)

you did a nice job, at first I thought you might have overdone the saturation a bit, but on closer inspection it's just the lack of sharpness that makes the image look a bit crude, and the original flatness sort of hid that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    (Removed. Sorry, didn't remember the rules about this)

4. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Bartjeej,

Thanks for the kind words and the help!

- Jock

5. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Jock, I'm glad you've posted your Squirrel here and also really glad to see you've gotten some help and answers to your questions about posting the images here, too.:friends: Here's a handy sticky about various methods of posting images to threads: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/how-post-images-forum-threads-45/

Just a quick note. In the future, it's very important that if anyone is going to attempt to help someone by editing their image - first be sure to ask the original poster, OK? In this case it was all fine, as one would think it would be - however, that's not always the case. We've got this referenced in our Site Rules/Terms of Service thread:
    Back to your squirrel - he or she is quite cute, though if my do were to spy him - it would be all over.:wink:

6. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    BB,

Thanks! Good to know the policy here on editing other folk's images, but definitely "no harm, no foul" in this case.

-Jock

7. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks, Jock.:th_salute:

P.S. Julien - if it's OK with Jock, it's OK for the thread!