An Unexpected Lens Purchase

Discussion in 'Pentax DSLR Forum' started by Biro, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I surprised myself today by ordering another lens for my Pentax DSLR kit: The DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4.0 Limited WR. I haven't added anything to my Pentax gear for quite a while. But if this lens works out nearly as well as I hope it will, I should be able to sell off two or three other lenses.

I'm not ready to give up my Pentax equipment yet - but I am trying pare the kit down to mostly DA Limited primes and a few specialty zooms (such as the 12-24 ultra-wide angle and the 50-300 telephoto). The fact that the 20-40mm is smaller than all of my wide-to-normal zooms is a big help. It's also faster than all but my big and heavy DA* 16-50 f/2.8. And it has weather resistance.

The best part: The lens has been priced at $999 since its introduction. But it's currently on a Black Friday sale for $679. I expect this price to go away by the end of the day (midnight) on Monday, Dec. 1.

The DA 20-40mm Limited is not perfect. But there are things I can forgive and live with at $679 that I can't at $1000.
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    I'll look forward to some results. I haven't felt inclined to buy it. If it had been a constant aperture, I may have considered it but I've been happy with my 18-55WR which I think must just be a good copy.
  3. JKLso

JKLso SC Regular

Nov 24, 2014
    near Kelso WA USA
    I owned it for a bit but the budget tightened soon after :frown:. It's a very nice lens, and when it costs the same as just two Limited primes that does indeed make a difference. It was definitely a more satisfying lens than the 18-135 copies that I tried.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The K5s are nice cameras and I've always like Pentax lenses.