1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

An Unexpected Lens Purchase

Discussion in 'Pentax DSLR Forum' started by Biro, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I surprised myself today by ordering another lens for my Pentax DSLR kit: The DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4.0 Limited WR. I haven't added anything to my Pentax gear for quite a while. But if this lens works out nearly as well as I hope it will, I should be able to sell off two or three other lenses.

I'm not ready to give up my Pentax equipment yet - but I am trying pare the kit down to mostly DA Limited primes and a few specialty zooms (such as the 12-24 ultra-wide angle and the 50-300 telephoto). The fact that the 20-40mm is smaller than all of my wide-to-normal zooms is a big help. It's also faster than all but my big and heavy DA* 16-50 f/2.8. And it has weather resistance.

The best part: The lens has been priced at $999 since its introduction. But it's currently on a Black Friday sale for $679. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1014041-REG/pentax_23000_hd_pentax_da_20_40mm.html. I expect this price to go away by the end of the day (midnight) on Monday, Dec. 1.

The DA 20-40mm Limited is not perfect. But there are things I can forgive and live with at $679 that I can't at $1000.

2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'll look forward to some results. I haven't felt inclined to buy it. If it had been a constant aperture, I may have considered it but I've been happy with my 18-55WR which I think must just be a good copy.

3. JKLso

JKLso SC Regular

Nov 24, 2014
    near Kelso WA USA
    jim
    I owned it for a bit but the budget tightened soon after :frown:. It's a very nice lens, and when it costs the same as just two Limited primes that does indeed make a difference. It was definitely a more satisfying lens than the 18-135 copies that I tried.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The K5s are nice cameras and I've always like Pentax lenses.