Nikon And I havent even updated the firmware yet...

I'm pretty happy with the camera. I dont think its ever going to be a really low light demon, everything I tried inside last night was awfully noisy... but no matter, plenty of other cameras for that.

Only used the 10-30 this morning, took the X100, GRD3 and XZ-1 as well, and didnt even get them out of the bag... a fairly good indicator of whether I am going to bond with a particular new bit of kit. Think I might have.

9263535957_a36c439194_c.jpg

Out by the Lake 1 by kyte50, on Flickr

9266311394_091e5325a5_c.jpg

Out by the Lake 2 by kyte50, on Flickr

9263537497_5d37e4ae18_c.jpg

Out by the Lake 3 by kyte50, on Flickr

9266314234_6c6f0457d9_c.jpg

Out by the Lake 4 by kyte50, on Flickr

Congrats Sue on the new stablemate. Will it elbow any of the others out of the stall and into market?

Thanks, Mark. I'm brinking on divesting myself of my Pentax gear. Its not that I don't like it, but I find, increasingly, that I absolutely *have* to wear a wrwist brace, and even then, it still becomes a painful exercise. I usually can't shoot more than 20 or so before I have to stop. I dont mind only shooting 20, but I hate stopping because I am forced to.... I cant see myself getting rid of anything else though.

[edit] or perhaps a monopod.

Thanks, Mark. I'm brinking on divesting myself of my Pentax gear. Its not that I don't like it, but I find, increasingly, that I absolutely *have* to wear a wrwist brace, and even then, it still becomes a painful exercise. I usually can't shoot more than 20 or so before I have to stop. I dont mind only shooting 20, but I hate stopping because I am forced to.... I cant see myself getting rid of anything else though.

[edit] or perhaps a monopod.

Sue, as a fellow Pentaxian, I think it's a pity you may have to divest yourself of your Pentax gear. But wrist pain is real and can be excruciating. In the end, one has to do what one has to do. One door closes and another opens and it looks like this Nikon One may be what you need for now. One certainly can't complain about the output.

Sue, as a fellow Pentaxian, I think it's a pity you may have to divest yourself of your Pentax gear. But wrist pain is real and can be excruciating. In the end, one has to do what one has to do. One door closes and another opens and it looks like this Nikon One may be what you need for now. One certainly can't complain about the output.

I don't really want to divest. The more I consider it, the more I think I will either a) invest in a monopod or b) sell the K-5 and get a lighter body, like an old K-r. Or both, of course.

One of the primary reasons I haven't let my Pentax gear go is my ownership of the DA Limited series of prime lenses. Suddenly my K-5, K-30 and K-01 are markedly lighter when this line of glass is used (and about the same size as a Panasonic GH-series set-up). Lenses like the 18-135 kit zoom are also a reasonable weather-resistant option. What I find I almost never use any more is the big, heavy artillary like the DA* 16-50 and 50-135.

One of the primary reasons I haven't let my Pentax gear go is my ownership of the DA Limited series of prime lenses. Suddenly my K-5, K-30 and K-01 are markedly lighter when this line of glass is used (and about the same size as a Panasonic GH-series set-up). Lenses like the 18-135 kit zoom are also a reasonable weather-resistant option. What I find I almost never use any more is the big, heavy artillary like the DA* 16-50 and 50-135.

Biro... if i didn't have the 4/3rds 50-200mm f2.8 i would have kept the K5 just for the f*300mm. That lens made me hold out for a long time. Then i started a lot of street with m4/3 and the lens sat unused. So all the gear was sold to fund a 6 week trip to India. I just decided that if i wasn't using gear, sell and move to other ventures

I've discussed Sues collection with her previously. She keeps going lighter and lighter

One of the primary reasons I haven't let my Pentax gear go is my ownership of the DA Limited series of prime lenses.
Now if you'd said "FA Limited series of prime lenses" then we'd have another story. I absolutely loved those three lenses. Honestly if Pentax ever ventured to full-frame then the FAs 31/43/77 is all I'd ever need. In the Land of Crop this magic vintage is little more than expensive spicy vinegar though I'm afraid. :(

Interestingly, I sold my FA43 a year ago. I just didnt get on with it very well, with the K5. With the K-r it was easy... K-5 not so much. Perhaps I didnt "tune" it up as well as I could/should have... I only have a 15 and 35 limited now, and a k55 f/1.8 (and a few boring zooms). Ordered an adapter last night, to use the 15 and 35 (andmaybe the 55-300, or 50-200) on the Nikon1. Will be interesting.

Interestingly, I sold my FA43 a year ago. I just didnt get on with it very well, with the K5. With the K-r it was easy... K-5 not so much. Perhaps I didnt "tune" it up as well as I could/should have... I only have a 15 and 35 limited now, and a k55 f/1.8 (and a few boring zooms). Ordered an adapter last night, to use the 15 and 35 (andmaybe the 55-300, or 50-200) on the Nikon1. Will be interesting.
Agreed Sue, the FA Ltd on crop sensors just aren't the same proposition (well maybe the 31/1.8 but even then). I tried them on a film body and there, well, we have a completely different story. (y) Sweet enough to lament Pentax's not releasing a digital FF body. They might but not for a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg time I suspect. They need mileage from their DA line-up. Having said that the 15 and 35 Macro - as is the pancakes 40 and 70 were nice performers, just not in the same league as the FA Ltd IMHO.

Sue: 15 and 35mm on a 1" sensor would be on the long end, what eqFoV are we talking here?

Agreed Sue, the FA Ltd on crop sensors just aren't the same proposition (well maybe the 31/1.8 but even then). I tried them on a film body and there, well, we have a completely different story. (y) Sweet enough to lament Pentax's not releasing a digital FF body. They might but not for a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg time I suspect. They need mileage from their DA line-up. Having said that the 15 and 35 Macro - as is the pancakes 40 and 70 were nice performers, just not in the same league as the FA Ltd IMHO.

Sue: 15 and 35mm on a 1" sensor would be on the long end, what eqFoV are we talking here?

That will be 40.5 and 94.5 respectively. I like that. a 94mm macro lens would suit me very well. That said, one will need to ascertain how they perform. Also, I have no idea whether the adapter has any optical glass in it (the adapter for the K-5 to use MC/MD Minolta lenses does, and that increases the focal length even more)... its a wait and see. It will arrive sometime.

Good shots that really show that it's the photographer not the camera that makes the picture!

Speaking of Pentax, I took the Nikon V1 and the Pentax K5 on one of my recent motorcycle trips. When I wanted max IQ, it was the K5. When I wanted max AF, it was the V1.

The V1 is a surprisingly competent little thing; I'd rate the IQ at about D80 or D90 level. The AF is what keeps it in my bag, and I look forward to IQ improvement in subsequent bodies. Here's a shot last week on the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC:

9306309975_9ca6d28f0e_b.jpg

Blue Ridge Parkway, NC by john m flores, on Flickr

And here's the K5 a couple weeks ago in Ontario:
9234793981_8fbfc41897_b.jpg

Honda VFR in the wilds of Ontario by john m flores, on Flickr

They have both had some PP, but the K5 just has that special hot sauce that makes it soooo goooood. Some credit goes to the glass too, the DA* 16-50 F2.8 in this case.

And yes, a monopod is a great solution for the Pentax. My wife now uses one for her flower macros and loves it; makes her wonder why she didn't try one earlier.

Sold my K5 and K-01 but can't part with the FA77! My daughter bought a J1 at Christmas with just the kit lens. I must admit I didn't get along with the menu's and found it rather frustrating. I'm not sure that she's overly impressed with it but I really think she needs to upgrade the lens to get the best out of it.

Back