Fuji And then suddenly you see That Light

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
Not the one at the end of the tunnel.

We always have Thanksgiving with a couple we used to live near in Wisconsin. We now live in Boston, they live in St Louis, but we always get together every Thanksgiving. This year we converged on Boulder, Colorado, and rented an amazing house up in the mountains overlooking town. One evening I looked over my shoulder and saw light that was absolutely stunning for portraits. The sun was about half an hour from setting behind the mountains, and was partially obscured by a thin ridge of clouds, so everything was absolutely drenched in this flat, directionless peach-colored light. I promptly forced everyone outside Right Now, grabbed the XT1 (it had the 27 pancake on it, which wouldn't have been my first choice but I had no time to waste), dialed up settings, and shot everyone (except my wife, who was in the shower, and two other friends who were out walking), beginning with the girl...

Unedited jpg's straight out of camera:

15739462977_5cb3ecdee6_b.jpg
KBRX0730 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

15737908830_347bd1c5c4_b.jpg
KBRX0742 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

15739195759_74947dba88_b.jpg
KBRX0762 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Then I had Mary shoot me. Took my glasses off because they're "transitions" lenses and I thought they might have a tint to them. And I could NOT keep a straight face, because she was cracking me up:
15899398546_fafd0fea3b_b.jpg
KBRX0750 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

...and then it was gone. Poof. It lasted no more than 3 or 4 minutes.

Back