And then there came a DP3 with a 75mm (equiv.) lens

Discussion in 'Sigma DP Forum' started by Boid, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Not sure I could ever get used to working with that focal length enough to want it permanently attached, but the camera LOOKS sweet.

And on a TOTALLY unrelated note, from a link at the bottom of that page, I found these cool photos of a white Bengal tiger underwater......cool!
    Terrifying Underwater Encounters With The Bengali White Tiger

• Like Like x 3
  3. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    75mm is a odd FL. If it was 90 or 100 I could see portrait shooters thinking about it. Not to say 75 couldn't work, but I'm not sure that compromise would be an easy one to make, all things considered.

4. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
  5. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Come on Phoblographer, you're shooting a black object on a white table. +1 on the Exposure Comp, at least!

6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I had thought of it as a possible portrait length, but given the resolving power of that thing, who considers it as a dedicated portrait machine?

7. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Actually, I favor the 75mm as my every day lens. Been hoping Sigma would give us something longer. Now, if I could shake loose some extra change! :smile:

8. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
  9. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    DP3 Review at LL

Impressive detail as other dp-m series, maybe too much for a portrait unless you are young and beautiful:)

Sigma DP3 Review

10. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I found 70mm equiv to be difficult (using a 35mm on m4/3), but 75mm is a surprisingly popular choice amongst rangefinder (35mm film + M9) users

11. david

david New to SC

Mar 10, 2013
    David Mantripp
    90mm would have been my choice, but even so, it's going to be very, very hard to resist. i'm still totally amazed by my DP2M....

12. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

Check out the eyelash detail blowup in the Luminous Landscape review of dp3m.. Needs a diffusion filter or some sort of softening for portrait work.

Gary

13. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome to SC!

I don't know why Sigma didn't use the 60mm lens that will be released for Sony nex and m43. That one is not a macro. Maybe they try to differentiate dp3 line from the others unlike Sigma 19mm and 30mm releases. Normally Sigma 50mm macro is one of the most used lenses in SD cameras and the macro lenses tend to be sharp lenses.

14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    right! But it's easier to throw away detail later than to try to recreate it when you don't have it

15. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    I've pretty much made the decison to by-pass this first round of Merrill cameras and am instead, sticking with my DP2.
    Why? - Because I'm waiting for model to have an ƒ2.0 or faster lens....:smile:

16. AbePak

AbePak New to SC

May 10, 2013
    Holy... Now this was what I wanted to see. Most DP#m shots that I've seen are either architecture or landscape. I was curious how it did in portrait work... Now I know.

17. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    How do you get a lens, that is too good for portraiture? "Back in the day", you smeared gel of some kind on the edges of your very best lens and it became a nice portrait lens. Today, it is easy to soften with filters or in PP. You are going to PP any portrait anyway, aren't you? Then the lens is good for any number of uses. I want the best lens I can afford.
    My daughter is visiting from out of state, and has the Oly 45mm with her. I tried it briefly, and found it too soft for my liking. But I don't do portraiture very often. For that use, it would be a wonderful lens, in my opinion. And to back up my thoughts on the subject; she was going to give it to me, as she is traveling all the time and doesn't have time for portraiture. I told her, thank you, but just put it back, for the time, you will need it. I really like the lens, but it is not exactly what I want. Not critically sharp enough for my liking.
    Would I buy the Sigma with 75mm? Sure. If I had that much extra money laying around.