1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

And this week's Mystery Object is ...

Discussion in 'Herman's Genres' started by pdh, Jun 24, 2014.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    No clues, no further information, no questions answered or speculations indulged, or even any hot cold cool lukewarm icy freezing boiling type games played.

If you get the right answer (exactly right, mind, not just vaguely in the ball-park), I might even send you a prize ...

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    So this must be the point where I start to make super specific guesses with zero hope.....

it is a tool from the Victorian age to help a woman cinch her corset without the need of an assistant.

• Like Like x 1
  4. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Thingamajig.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Paul

have you taken up knitting/needlework?

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Now Bill, what was it I said? ... ah yes ...
    :tongue:

7. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    My guess it it's some kind of lifter. You squeeze it together, insert it into the object that's probably too hot to touch, release and the pegs obtain purchase to the inside of said hot object, then you lift!

• Like Like x 2
  8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I have NFI!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Well, it looks like the sides might compress inward to fit inside something, the little spikes dig into that something when it expands outward again, and then you can use it like a handle to carry.. and it seems it would be adjustable as to how deep it could be embedded too, into a shallower item or a deeper one based on the gapping of the little spikes.. and based on this looking like a reverse image means it might be made of a dark sprayed metal or even iron..

And that is as close as I can get. Btw, looked at your link to Inspired Eye.. some reaaaally nice photos there Paul.

• Like Like x 1
  10. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Paul,

I had some of those and I've been trying to remember what they were for. During another semi-sleepness night last night I suddenly had the feeling that they are some sort of spacer/clamps for use in a drum type print developer ensuring that the print doesn't move around during the process and that the developer fluid flows evenly over the print.

Would it be fair to assume you are using such a drum to develop your large format negatives and these spacers are being used to ensure the developer fluid flows over both sides of the negative whilst wrapped around the inner surface of the drum?

Barrie

• Like Like x 4
  11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Bingo!

Our man from Plymouth has it almost to a tee.

Actually, I acquired a couple of print drums to try reversal processing of paper negatives (because I didn't want to handle Sulfuric acid and Sodium metabisulfite in open trays in my cramped unventilated bathroom-cum-darkroom).

This device is from a Paterson 10x8 colour print drum, and is a spacer that allows you to process 5x7 or smaller in the same drum (the spacer sits vertically in the tank, the paper each side of the pegs, the latter allowing developer to flow when the drum is rotated. The spacer is removed of course when you are processing 10x8s

I've been looking at the damn thing for several weeks wondering how on Earth it was supposed to work, until the penny suddenly dropped with a clang a couple of days ago.

I haven't tried it yet with 10x8 film negatives, and for 5x4 film I use a "taco" method where you curl them in two with an elastic hairband round and develop them in a Paterson Universal (no reels, just the centre column)

The Sulfuric acid/Potassium permanganate bleach, by the way, is pretty hard on the the emulsion layers, and it turns out that drum agitation added a level of mechanical stress to that, so the moment I got the print into the second developer, the emulsion floated straight off the base ... so I've had to start using open trays anyway :sigh:

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    That can't be right; I've seen this before. It's a Hungarian Persuader, late Cold War Vintage.:wink:

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  13. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    It's what my "batman" uses to stretch my boots

• Like Like x 2