Animals "Animals"

I have posted these somewhere before, but I thought I'd repost them here, and offer an apology to the handsome lady I wrongly called a bullock yesterday :redface:, what a load of old bull.

1020440.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1020450.jpg

Barrie

These are all out of our replaced (selling it on craigslist as we speak) Canon S3.

Some of these animals were really far away and at times the camera surprised me like this shot

IMG_1338.jpg

Or this one

2009triptothewestpart1300.jpg

2009triptothewestpart1535.jpg

2009triptothewestpart1582.jpg

2009triptothewestpart2233.jpg

2009triptothewestpart2571.jpg

2009triptothewestpart2865.jpg

That's awesome. What is that, a marmot?

Thanks James, I would have thought that it is a Beaver -............ or is it a Coypu, (just doing some research on the net)

They hang out in the stream/river, (depending on the time of year), just below where we live - the stream boundries the field with the cows - about 10 years ago our Springer, (dog) had a slight contre-temps with one - we had a week of heavy rain and the fields were flooded - after about a few days the field(s) were full of birds on the water - our dog, who was young at the time decided to swim out to "get them" - I stood by shouting at her to come back, but she went conveniently deaf - anyway in the middle of all this lot was one of the above, a Beaver, which just looked like a ball of brown fur from a distance - they swam to meet each other - met head on and then both shot away in opposite directions. It did however take several hours to get out dog back as the birds were just too tempting.

(just been talking to my French neighbour about them - they are disliked and although I think that they are protected in France - the French shoot them, (illegally?), to prevent them from eating crops plus for their meat which they make Pâté from - ........... but I've seen these in the same place for the last 15 years ............. ).

Ah I thought a beaver wouldn't stray too far from water so I went for the marmot as my best guess. Sad to hear they're being shot. We have invasive rabbit and fox species in Australia and they are shot but I can understand it's for conservation purposes. We also have kangaroos that are being shot because they're too many of them in some regions.

I'm not sure now - not being an expert - is it a Coypu, (known as a Beaver Rat)? .......... it looks as if it is ......... apparently a "pest" in France

Thanks Dave

It must be a Coypu, (a Beaver Rat) - to be polite - reading up of the animal and can see why they need to be controlled, (i.e. shot)

Back