Feedback Announcement: Changes to Forum 'New Posts'

Amin

Hall of Famer
In response to member feedback, I've made two changes to the way the forum works:

1) Change in thread marking type from inactivity/cookie based (threads would be marked as read once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (15 minutes) to database with automatic forum marking (threads marked as read once you have read them). The old system would remove threads from "New Posts" after 15 minutes of inactivity, whereas the new system removes them from New Posts when you have read them and otherwise will list the last 10 days of unread posts.

Since I just made this change, all threads and posts have been marked in the database as new/unread. If you want a fresh start, choose "Mark Forums Read" from the "Forum Actions" dropdown in the Navbar.

2) Change in settings to "Update Thread Views Immediately". Previously all viewed threads would be counted as viewed once per hour. Now they are counted as viewed immediately upon viewing.

Please note that both of the above changes will place a larger load on our server. Server costs are already high, so if these changes result in slower forum performance, I may have to revert them.

From a user standpoint, some will like the new way, and some will like the old. I'm counting on more people liking the new way once everyone gets used to it. Please allow some time to get used to the new changes before asking me to revert them ;).

Someone at Mu-43 said that the changes caused problems with the forum app, which means the same thing will probably be true here. I'm sure someone will let me know :).

The new changes are causing a fair number of memory errors, which means we need to upgrade the server again or revert. Some users are saying they preferred the old way. Would appreciate some member feedback about whether the new changes are an improvement or not.

I went ahead and ordered a memory upgrade for the server, which should take care of the problem.

Back