Another argument for superzooms for wildlife photography for the rest of us

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Jock Elliott, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    When I posted https://www.photographerslounge.org/threads/34944/#post-219375 , I mentioned that it is difficult to get long fast lenses for ILCs (and particularly so if you want a long fast zoom lens). Not impossible, but not easy either.

One of the aspects of "Wildlife photography for the rest of us" that I never mentioned was cost.

Well, here's some news: Nikon has announced a couple of commendably fast long fixed lenses for its full frame cameras. The AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR will cost $10,299.95; the AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR will sell for $12,299.95. Both will be available mid-July.

Upon reading ths news, my Scottish thrift genes kicked into full overdrive. I found myself kissing the FZ200 and cooing: "Who's a good little camera? Who's Daddy's favorite?"

If I purchased a full-frame Nikon and one of those lenses (and for the record, I am absolutely positive that it would deliver astounding performance), I would only be able to use it for a month, at the end of which, I would have to "do myself in" and let the insurance pay the VISA bill.

Cheers, Jock
    PS -- I have to be careful even reading the prices on those new lenses . . . I'm on blood thinners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 SC Top Veteran

Feb 6, 2015
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Patience. :D

The Olympus 300/4 PRO is coming soon(~$1299-$1499USD). Reasonable price for an effective FOV of 600mm + it will work with the new 1.4TC giving you an 840mm FOV for only $350 more USD.

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I just take pictures at the zoo with a shorter telephoto.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    The Olympus 75-300mm (currently 449$) is a pretty good lens too. It's slower of course, but small enough to just take along.
    Got great results from it - one of my favourite lenses, even if I don't use it every day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 SC Top Veteran

Feb 6, 2015
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    That is true, but I believe the OP is making the case for fast aperture lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    You're probably right. Didn't want to hijack this into a m43 thread.
    Just thought it would fit into the spirit of "It doesn't always have to be big and expensive". Especially if you're only doing it for fun. :)
    (I'm from a part of Germany that's supposedly very thrifty too... the German equivalent to Scotland I guess :D )

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Exactly, the FZ200 offers 600mm (e), plus more if you are willing to go for digital zoom, with f/2.8 throughout.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  8. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    I came from the Panasonic FZ3(8 years old now) to mFT 5 years ago. Even as the technology has grown with the new superzooms, the biggest issue I always faced was dynamic range. The latest larger sensor superzooms seem to be getting pretty close now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm not a huge fan of small sensors (<1/1.7, 2/3) and heaven knows I've tried enough of them. The Stylus 1 has been my favorite followed by the X10. The FZ1000 would be smallest sensor superzoom (not small, I know) I'd consider now for long telephoto conditions. OTOH, I expect the FZ1000 would be really good. Just to note, I definitely have a hankering for the RX10 but it's not long enough for wildlife.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    FZ1000 is top of my list, still. I could buy this week but I think I'd like to wait for more price drop. Mind you, with the way the Aussie dollar is tumbling... if I *don't* buy this week, I may have to wait years before I can afford it again.

• Like Like x 2
  11. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Just think if you were in Greece...

• Like Like x 1
  12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Erk. If I was in Greece, cameras would be the last of my concerns.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    I take your point. Small works for me and results in a camera with great reach, a fast lens, AND I am willing to carry it. On the other hand, you could argue that I have low standards for image quality and that I am lazy (ie, unwilling to carry big, heavy camera/lens combos). You would be correct on both counts.

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 2
  14. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You are balancing several important factors in picking a kit. This is wisdom and efficiency not laziness. :thumbup: You might enjoy this site: thenimblephotographer.com

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Wow, thanks for the link to the nimble photographer. That pretty much captures the spirit of my photographic philosophy!

Cheers, Jock

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I thought of this thread and you in particular when I stumbled on this. I was looking for reviews of the Lumix 35-100 4-5.6 and found this guy's blog.

• Like Like x 1
  17. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

The review I read listed only 2 cons - the f4 starting point and the start-up rotation to unlock the lens. I wish I had a lens like this with my G1 from circa 2007.

• Like Like x 1
  18. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The biggest complaint I commonly saw was the existence of the 35-100 2.8. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1