Pentax Another K-01 on it's way.

Using manual lenses on K-01

Where you use the green button, for using these lenses on the DSLRs, it is not necessary on the K-01. IF, you use the -M lenses, not -A, and clip off the stop-down lever/tab of the lens. The full-time live view will "gain-up" the image on the LCD, even stopped down. So used in Av mode, set the appropriate aperture, and camera selects shutter speed. really simple and quick. I then set the green button to toggle focus peaking on/off. (It is really distracting at narrow apertures, and contrasty scenes).

This camera is a real joy to use on a tripod. Not since the Olympus OM1, 25 years ago, have I "bonded" so quickly with a camera. As to my earlier question,"is it a keeper", YES. It fits most of my photography needs, wonderfully. (I can actually operate almost all needed functions with leather dress gloves, on old shaky hands.) An only camera? Not yet. Have yet to work out the flash to my satisfaction. The E-p2 and FL36 has that covered nicely. Just wish it had as good IQ.

My conclusion? If you have maybe considered the K-01, don't let the negative comments of others, or it's funky looks, discourage you. Get it, and take the time to really get acquainted with it. It's a great tool. :)

Of course, you have to use the manual lenses manually. The A, FA, DA,and later lenses have electrical contacts so can pretty much do anything they could do originally. (The lack of the "aperture simulator" coupling in later Pentax bodies also requires the use of the green button.)

Back