1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another Pen F

Discussion in 'Film Camera Forum' started by tonyturley, Apr 27, 2015.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    I just received this camera Saturday morning. I've been hankering for one for a while, and finally decided to give in to the GAS. I'm currently running a roll of expired Kodak Gold 200 through it. I haven't used film in around 20 years, and it is kind of cool returning to my roots. I've either been using Sunny 16, or using my E-M5 to meter. That may not be entirely accurate, but it is fun.

TT

Pen F.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    What a lovely camera!

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
  3. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Indeed it is. Beefy, too, for such a little thing.

TT

• Like Like x 1
  4. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Rorschach Test Pilot

Apr 18, 2014
    Canary Islands
    Ken
    What a beauty; congrats! Only some years ago, before the first NEXes and new Pens showed up you could get Pen-F lenses too for next to nothing. The last time I've seen a collection of them in a shop in Vienna they were all well north of 250 Eurons, dang. Looking forward too see some of your shots from that camera, Tony.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    Thanks Ken. I've been fortunate to find a couple of the Pen F lenses for much lower than the typical auction prices. The 20/3.5 is typically listed from $300-500 USD, and I found one for <$90 because it had bad fungus. I took a chance and bought it, disassembled it and cleaned it. There was no damage to the lens, and now I have a fantastic little lens that is a piece of camera history.

TT

• Like Like x 1
  6. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    I love it!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC Top Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Beautiful camera and a wise purchase! It's also bringing back memories: I shot with a Pen F for a few years, back in the early 70's, and have fond memories of both the camera and its capabilities. Hope you enjoy it - and treat us to a few images you make with it!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    That's very cool indeed. I never shot with a rangefinder style SLR, with a mirror and through the lens viewing like that. My first camera was a half-frame though, and I'm glad if I was gonna have one, it was my first. I don't think I could adapt very easily to a portrait orientation default frame and having to turn the camera 90 degrees to get a landscape orientation frame. Mine was a little Canon half frame - fixed lens, I guess it must have had a little OVF in there somewhere, but I honestly don't remember the OVF. It was a hand-me-down from my Dad via my Brother, so I guess it was viewed as a starter camera that I couldn't hurt much.

Man, this early Pen really shows how closely Olympus emulated the body styles in their current Pen series...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  9. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    For sure.

10. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas