1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Another SC on the way

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by tonyturley, Sep 14, 2016.

1. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    A very gently used Olympus E-M5 will be in my possession tomorrow. I had one for a couple of years before selling it to partially finance my "upgrade" to Fuji X. I have sold and shipped out the last of my APS-C gear. I found that the difference between MFT and APS-C was not as great as I first thought, and I really do prefer more compact cameras.

I sold the first E-M5 with full knowledge of what I was doing, a decision I am quite happy to be able to reverse. This time, there will be no adapted lenses or large pro lenses. In fact, I have sold or given away all of my cameras and lenses except my Fuji X30 and a couple of film cameras I wanted to keep. I quite like the X30; it and the E-M5 will complement each other nicely. I feel like leaning out my photo gear will work for me very well.

• Like Like x 4
  2. JKLso

JKLso SC Regular

Nov 24, 2014
    near Kelso WA USA
    jim
    No doubt it feels really good to learn what fits your needs and actually own it - still playing the buy/try/firesale/repeat game myself :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I've owned several E-M5s. They were ALL great. I think that's one on my avatar right there.....maybe I should I buy another....

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. dougpayne

dougpayne SC Regular

Oct 17, 2012
    Sebastopol, CA
    C.D. Payne
    The refurb E-M5ii is on sale at the Olympus outlet store today for 20% off. Mine produces superior results compared to my Fuji X-E2, but not to my Sony A6000. I tested all three recently shooting the same subjects with comparable lenses.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    There's not a huge difference in size between the E-M5 and my former X-T1, until the lenses are considered. Here they are with lenses of approximately the same FOV:

Camerasize.com/compact/#520.596,289.383,ha,t

The soon to be released 23mm WR is a lens I had been considering for the X-T1, but then I began looking more closely at files I had from both cameras. In many cases, I could see no difference in similar conditions. I always liked the E-M5, and just never warmed up to the X-T1 the same way. So now I'll have an E-M5 again, with my favorite 35mm FOV, in a slightly smaller package weighing about 3.5 oz (100g) less.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  6. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Good for you, Tony! I wish I could bring myself to pare down my kit to two or three cameras. But I'm not quite there yet. Still, I have stopped adding to it.

BTW, it's amazing how well you took to the X30. You weren't so sure at first. A nice outcome.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    I waffled for quite some time about purging all of my stuff, Steve, but as I began to let go of it bit by bit, the decision became more clear. The stuff I wasn't able to sell got boxed up and off to the thrift store it went. Done!

You're right about the X30; at first I was more ambivalent, but as I used it more and more, it grew on me. I've come to really appreciate its capabilities. It will make a nice lightweight combo with the E-M5.

• Like Like x 1