1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another unknown insect that I found in my back yard

Discussion in 'Macro' started by Rhino123, May 25, 2014.

1. Rhino123

Rhino123 SC Veteran

May 11, 2014
    Singapore
    Tiew Chong Yi
    Good evening,

I have taken into taking more macro shot recently and is wildly interested in the different insects that are in my backyard in Singapore.

Just today, I found another one that I have never seen before.

14263731975_f6b0fd89e6_b.jpg

14263345984_288e90de26_b.jpg

This insect was really small (around 5mm) and it camouflage really will with the ground, found it at the base of a starfruit tree, on the ground. If it didn't move, I wouldn't have notice it.

Would appreciate it if anyone could help me identify the creature or at least point to the general species it belongs to.

Thanks a million.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    the camouflage is brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
  3. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Tiew, can I suggest that you do an internet search for natural history societies in Singapore, they should be in a much better position to help you with your identification queries. If you thought there were a lot of moths in the world, just wait until you find out how many insects there are!

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rhino123

Rhino123 SC Veteran

May 11, 2014
    Singapore
    Tiew Chong Yi
    The problem here is... I don't think there are a lot of natural history societies in Singapore. I was looking around keywords like Insect Identification in Singapore, and found none.

5. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    The Natural History Society of Singapore has to be your best starting point http://www.nss.org.sg/

Most people who study insects tend to concentrate on particular families or regions, by which I mean sub divisions of countries. Given the mind boggling numbers of insects in the world no one person covers the whole world!

Barrie

6. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Tiew, another thought springs to mind, on the m4/3 site there is a member in Singapore who is keen on natural history and has posted many bird and insect pictures from that part of the world, he might be a good contact point, user name ricseet
    http://www.mu-43.com/member.php?u=1556

Barrie

7. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    You could write a book on your yard!

• Like Like x 1
  8. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    It could become a tourist attraction, your back yard that is!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rhino123

Rhino123 SC Veteran

May 11, 2014
    Singapore
    Tiew Chong Yi
    Damn! How did I missed that. Thanks a million Barrie. I am going to drop them an email soon.

Ah... thanks again Barrie.

We could write a book on all backyards. Actually, if we keep a keen eye... there are bound to have strange and wonderful creatures all over the place. Really.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rhino123

Rhino123 SC Veteran

May 11, 2014
    Singapore
    Tiew Chong Yi
    If you guys don't mind the small little yard. If you come to Singapore, I will be glad to invite all of you over to have a macro session ;)

Serious.

11. Rhino123

Rhino123 SC Veteran

May 11, 2014
    Singapore
    Tiew Chong Yi
    Thanks guys. I found the species of this creature.

Pygmy Grasshopper (Tetrigidae). I was thinking (from the structure of the legs) this creature should be a grasshopper. So I looked into google with the wording (Fat Camouflage Grasshopper) and this name came up. Looked into it and found it to look alike the insect I found in my backyard.

Thanks again guys for your help and advise.