Any hobbies besides of photography?

I live in rural Virginia, and I am a bit more cautious hiking during deer hunting season. Like many locations in the US, we have bow season, followed by black powder (Muzzleloader) season, followed by rifle season. I like to think of them all as Kevlar season.

Hehe, you would be safe from bows here. It is illegal to hunt anything here with a bow or crossbow.

• Traveling. I'm a huge mileage junkie, so I'm over at FlyerTalk a lot.
  • Electronic music events. (I'm ashamed to say raving.) I don't dress in weird clothes, but I'll fly to random cities for a night if the booking and venue are spot on.
  • Ballroom dancing. It's just one of those things I randomly picked up on so I could twirl girls around for the heck of it. :tongue: I would learn tango, but like they say, it takes two.
  • Improv. I don't think I'm funny at all, but I do enjoy flexing my humor muscles.
  • Foreign languages. I've read Harry Potter in German, French, and Spanish for fun. My oral skills are poor in all except for German. I'm currently learning Russian through Assimil and plan on tackling Turkish once summer rolls around. For the record, I nearly failed Spanish in high-school and hated foreign languages back then. Funny how things play out.
  • Rifle shooting. Ammo's expensive for the AR, so this has tapered off somewhat.

I got into pens a while back (see Fountain pen Forum for occasional inspiration ) The Sailor Calligraphy has a neat nib & is pretty affordable but best for flex ( and blots) were the dip pens

RED,
I'm also a member of FPN :) As I draw for a living, I've been playing a lot with dip nibs and used them for years. But I love the smoothness and convenience of fountain pens, and those with vintage flexible nibs are a pleasure to use for drawing.

On top of that, there's that nice feeling of building something and using it even if it's not of the manufacturing standards of professional equipment and skill. As a "pinholist", I believe you understand :)

Lovely portrait you shared; glad to see your "other" images.

I used to dismember and recreate pens too :D

I write, stories, lyrics etc.. I hike (camera does go with). My art took its turn in photography but prior to that I drew and painted etc. Not sure I could anymore. The imagination is there, the skill isn't.

Another fellow pen-artist :) Knowing your moody photographs, I would love to see your artwork.

Thanks Milan

Not many drawings to share at least none that I have jpegs of
My line of work is overtaken by Computer which is where I've been for the last 15 years or so. Its useful but not where my heart is. Last year I had to teach a student how to use a drawing board - I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it which is why I got into my business in the first place. Drawing was my job & my pleasure. I realise that is why I find such an interest in photography - I need to be creative & that doesn't happen so much in my line of work these days. Too many regulations. Its an outlet as well as a need and desire. The next step is likely to be some real artwork.

Too many, besides photography, I travel, cook, collect custom Japanese kitchen knives, collect and enjoy wine, canyon driving my GTR, offroad exploring, fishing, gardening, folding knives, astronomy, music more listening than play but I do have a few guitars and yukes to name a few

I wouldn't call it a "hobby", but the only other thing I'm obsessed with apart from photography is coffee.

In fact my 'retirement' plan is to open a coffee shop that sells obscure photography gear, which would also double up as an art gallery.

I'd die poor, but I'd die happy.

If I'm ever in Bangalore, I'll stop by.

Me, too!

It is fun and interesting to read everyone's other interests! I'm also a non avid birdwatcher...as in I really enjoy them - especially when I see a Bald Eagle perched on the dead tree across the river from my deck...or Pileated Woodpecker who swoops from tree to tree, the Ring Necked Pheasants who popped up the other day outside, and the wonderful array of birds at our feeders... I don't "go birding" but if there was someone around here that invited me, I would. Chuck - are you ready for a trip up north? :D

Mattia, that is one sexy guitar!

Thanks! Had to clear it with the bride to be first, but here's a bonus closeup of the tasteful nudity ;)

pat_finished06.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Most of my own guitars are far more toned down (minimalist/wood tones), but I do love doing some inlay once in a while...

I've collected records -- mostly classical with a generous serving of jazz - since I was 16. They taken over the house and, to quote another collector and online blogger, "if my house catches on fire I will drown in a sea of melted vinyl."

I like whittling and carving, though I'm not very good, and since surgery a couple of years back, my hands are weaker and protest if I carve in the cedar I enjoy working with. Here's a couple I did: The turtle was for my mother, the bunny for my partner, who had a rabbit at one time (along with the cats and dogs we had.)

bunny_email.jpg

Turtle_4.jpg

I've climbed a few mountains in my time, fallen off a few too. Ouch! Beach walks, now that's my favoured path, but only in the autumn or winter. I pedal in the summer (mountain bikes, road bikes and folding bikes) sometimes scoot a bit too. I paddle sometimes, not enough though. My kayak if I am paddling to the pub, the canoe if I want to float lazily down the river. I've collected a few kites, kept them in the air for a few moments before spectacularly crashing them, red faced, to the ground. I've tried my hand at writing, been published a few times too. Tried my hand at painting, from water colours dabs pretending to be clouds and trees and things on paper to slapping plain magnolia on walls, neither I'm very good at. There are many other things I've tried but none of these things I call my hobbies. Just things I sometimes do. I only have one hobby. It is photography. Like breathing, it's something I've got to do.

I salute all who can master more than one hobby.

I wouldn't call it a "hobby", but the only other thing I'm obsessed with apart from photography is coffee.

In fact my 'retirement' plan is to open a coffee shop that sells obscure photography gear, which would also double up as an art gallery.

I'd die poor, but I'd die happy.

Now a coffee obsession I understand!

Back