Any Pentax film camera fans out there?

Discussion in 'Film Camera Forum' started by Lightmancer, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I'm having a clearout and I have 18 copies of "Pentax Magazine", the journal of the Pentax Club in the UK dated from January 1991 to October 1985. They are in excellent condition, each about 30 pages, glossy with lots of colour images. They would be a great resource for anyone interested in the period and the marque. I need the space so I'll happily let them go for postage, otherwise I'll pop them in the bin.

2. jssaraiva

jssaraiva SC Veteran

Dec 31, 2014
    Porto, Portugal
    José
    Hi,

I still use Pentax Medium Format film. After several problems with the otherwise lovely 6x7s (that made me gave up on them) I currently use a 645 on a regular basis. I'm interested, looks very useful. Do you have an idea of what would be cost to post to Portugal? I'd send you the amount to your Paypal?

3. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Great! I have to go to the post office tomorrow anyway so let me pop them in a box and get an estimate, okay?

4. jssaraiva

jssaraiva SC Veteran

Dec 31, 2014
    Porto, Portugal
    José
    Ok and thanks for the kind offer! Let's hope posting cost isn't an issue, but I imagine 18 copies will be kind of heavy....

5. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    They are not light! But let me see what can be done - I shall let you know.

6. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    So, the answer is an eye-watering £16.90 for airmail and only 20p cheaper - £16.70 for shipment by sea. That's a printed paper rate so the cheapest available. Let me know if that works for you - it's disappointingly expensive!

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    shipping costs have really just gone through the roof over the last few years. It's really cutting into my sales.

8. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    It's ridiculous. You'd think, at least in Europe, that competition would drive prices down, but it doesn't look like it.

9. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Have you checked parcel2go.com, Bill? You might be able to shave a few quid off that price. I have used the site a few times and it's generally possible to get a cheaper price than the Royal Mail offer.

10. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Oo. That's an interesting site. Sadly even with hokey-cokey-never-heard-of-but-poor-reviews couriers the maximum saving is a whole pound...

Cartel, anyone? o_O

11. jssaraiva

jssaraiva SC Veteran

Dec 31, 2014
    Porto, Portugal
    José
    Wow... Sadly to expensive, almost the same price as flying in myself with Ryanair :) Thanks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Photographers Lounge mobile app

12. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    No problem at all. Think I shall drop them into a charity shop. I hate the idea of just binning them.

13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    some camera geek will be excited to find them in a charity shop. I'm sure the guys and gals over at the Pentax Forum I used to hang out at would be foaming at the mouth.

14. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Indeed. I started out with an ME Super, you see, before progressing to an LX (a superb camera). It was only that Pentax were so slow to offer decent pro-spec AF bodies and lenses that led me into the arms of Nikon...