1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any South Africans on the Forum

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by BillN, Jan 7, 2013.

1. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    We are off to South Africa, Knysna, on Wednesday for a few weeks

Anyone on the forum from the George/Knysna/Garden Route area

Any tips ......... I'm hoping to spot some unusual wildlife, particularly birds

2. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    Not from South Africa, but I spent 2 weeks driving the length of the country.

I would highly recommend a detour off the garden route into the Karoo, just take a left at Port Elizabeth. Lots of ostrich farms in the Karoo (in and around Oudtshoorn). It looks something like this -

F490u.

Penguins at Boulder Bay, large honking birds (I'm not a birder) at Kruger National Park up north. All round great country to have a camera around your neck. I wish I was as into photography back then.

If you plan on driving, remember to stop well before a traffic light (they call them "robots") at junctions. Gives you some room to maneuver in case someone walks up to your window (my local guide and bestie was a cop, and she was all about defensive driving techniques). It's a bit unsafe, especially in and around the cities.

Have a fun trip!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Bill,
    Not South African, but lived there, in the Cape, for a decade. I worked in tourism and know the Garden Route very well professionally and personally. I'm away for a few days but when I get back ill be in touch and maybe I can help.

• Like Like x 1