Anyone reads Japanese by any chance?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by tdekany, Feb 7, 2015.

1. tdekany

tdekany SC Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Portland OR
    I would need to translate a label from Japanese to English.

Thanks.

2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Does google translate not work?

3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    How do you get a paper label into google translate?

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I remember years ago reading about Optical Character Recognition and being able to scan something and it would automatically turn into a text document. I wonder if anything like that exists for a photo? THEN, you could feed it into Google translate

5. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Yes it's perfectly possible to scan a photo of text or indeed convert a photo of text and run it through ocr, because I've done it ... But boy what a palaver the latter is, let alone finding software in English to render pictograms ... Much easier to find a friendly bod who'll translate!

I know apug and rff both have members able to read Japanese so it might be worth posting there if no one here can help

• Like Like x 1
  6. tdekany

tdekany SC Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    Portland OR
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

It worked some except the part that was important - It is a perfume bottle and would need to know the name of the perfume.

What is "apug" and "rff"?

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    • Like Like x 1
  8. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    The new version of Google Translate (at least on Android) will allow you to scan print via the phone's camera. I have used it a couple times on Chinese and Japanese business cards and it works surprisingly well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 SC Top Veteran

Feb 6, 2015
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It will also allow you to hand write the kanji characters as well, so, if you can replicate you can do that too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    neat as you like, I must try it!

I tend to forget about app technology, and based my remarks on having tried a couple of years ago with a scanner. Dangerous of course as tech change in areas like apps/phones is so fast at the moment.