1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Anyone use a tablet to edit??

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by bilzmale, Aug 25, 2013.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I'm talking Wacom style - not iPad. If you use one does it assist with day to day editing of photos?

2. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Wow I was just thinking about this earlier today with a regular tablet like an iPad but I put it out of my head immediately thinking they're just not powerful enough for serious editing yet. I didn't know about the Wacoms.

It would be so convenient when travelling or editing on the go.

3. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Wacom tablets (and similar) are actually drawing-style surfaces that you use with a stylus, so it can mimic "traditional media" techniques. They by far pre-date iPads and all that.

wacomtabletwithhand.

4. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I'm looking them up now, I have seen these before but have completely forgotten they exist. They'd be so convenient if they were powerful enough and can have Lightroom installed.

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    yes......that WOULD be cool, but there's just a user interface....like a mouse.

6. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I have an old Wacom - serial interface! - kicking around somewhere. All it does though is "draw", it doesn't have storage or a CPU.

I don't think I'd enjoy using one of these newfangled machines, and the price for the one you linked to.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

7. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    They're equipped almost like a decent laptop but without a keyboard (or a detachable one).

8. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    I bought one a year ago thinking I needed one. Used it about twice/ thrice. But although its plugged in it mostly serves as a place mat for my coffee

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    This is all new. Up until fairly recently, they were a user interface and nothing more. I see now they've integrated it with a laptop.

10. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Been thinking of this recently when I started to use Corel - I have an older Wacom but haven't loaded it into my "new" (5year old) computer yet

must be easier than me using a mouse to clean up with

11. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    Except that they have pressure sensitivity and are far more precise in use than a mouse.

I have used Wacom tablets extensively for the last decade and still do. Nothing comes close when it comes to making fast and accurate selections and masks in PS. I also use taablets with Wacom panels in them on the road (both MS tabletPC's and my Galaxy Notes which are Wacom enabled).

There is a learning curve involved with them. Most people try one for an hour or two and then stick it in a drawer. You really need about a month to get really used to them. I learned by unplugging my mouse. Frustrated for a week or so but after a fortnight I don't know how I did serious PS work without one.

The bamboo series are cheap and work well. The intuous are really only needed for power users.

Gordon

12. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    A friend of mine is an artist and she is very happy with her Wacom-enabled Samsung Ativ Tab Pro 700T. It's very powerful (based on Intel Core i7), runs Windows 8 and comes with a removable keyboard.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

13. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Been using them for 20 years. Currently have the inexpensive Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch. As the name implies, you can use your fingertip like on an iPad or laptop, or you can use a stylus. The big test for me is that I can sign my name with it. Try that with a mouse.

An added benefit is that I continue to have a mouse connected. Having multiple devices and switching between them helps reduce the chance of RSI.

14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Likewise, except mine is no longer plugged in. Not even worth selling, really. Mine was bought something like 10 years ago (maybe longer, I think I still had a PC back then) and basically I have no idea why I bothered.