Anyone using, or even considering a move to, 500px?

I think i may try it. I dont like the Flickr interrface. Ayone try Smugmug, or is there issue there that its not social enough?

I was very interested in smugmug, but I understand that it you need to pay a subscription even as a light user. 500px appears to be free with limitations...albeit a little steeper than flickr - though you can load photos up to 30Mb :eek:

Like Don, what got me about 500px, is the lack of clutter - both in your own photo interface and looking at others. It really does feel more pleasureable to kick back and view images. Not sure about the flickr river type capability....as I've never used it. But apparently plug-ins for Lightroom, Photoshop and Aperture are only months away.

Can I ask for those who are already with 500px - or joining - that you list your account details here so you can be followed by your friends. Again, I can be found here...and I aint snobby ;)

I'm giving it a try. I like the layout and the easy interface so far. Only managed to put 5 pictures that I like on there though. Might be difficult to find enough that will pass muster :rolleyes:

What's really cool is.... You have a portfolio that you can choose display options on.
In your portfolio you can have different collections.
The images display full screen, depending on what option you set.
You also have in the portfolio a statement that you write.
It's the best image quality I've ever seen on the net, bar none.
It's a beautiful thing and I will go full swing in a short time

The entire site is more classy and intelligently designed and presented as compared to Flickr.
Im Streetshooter or Don Springer at 500.

Both Nic...... Come on over.... You'd do good there...
Don

Well, technically I'm already there with five token images, but I'm currently an inactive member.

500px / Nic Prins

I just jumped on quickly then and started "following" the accounts listed here. I think that that adds youse all to my friends list, although that being the case I don't get why the "follow" option isn't just "add friend" or somesuch. Maybe Facebook has an international copyright over that term.

I haven't looked much into the portfolio option. I've always wished that Flickr had some more page and display customisation options, although given that none of my work is for commercial purposes it's probably not that much of an issue.

Do the free accounts have data limits or limits to the number of images that can be uploaded?

I'm on hold..... It seems that the search engine is lacking any intelligent designer. The entire site is really nice and it's very intuitive. The blog etc BUTT, the search engine does not pull up all members or images. Even if you search... "Street"...like 12 or so images come up.....
Until it's fixed, I'll play around but not pay for the service....

Don

You're right. The search function doesn't appear to allow you to browse through all of the results, just whatever it deems to be the top 20 or so. Searching tags seems to give you more results to look at but it is still being very selective, maybe showing about 100 results only. I don't particularly want to be herded into looking at whatever images 500px thinks I should be looking at. If there are 500 000 results, just let me see them all or decide if I want to filter them further.

Thanks. I do, yes. In the last few months I've set myself the project of digging out my travel images and sorting/processing them rather than let them sit languishing on a hard drive. They are still a work in progress but you find the various sets here, including Nepal from late 2008.

Collection: Travel

I think i may try it. I dont like the Flickr interrface. Ayone try Smugmug, or is there issue there that its not social enough?

I'm on smugmug at photographybyolli.com Take a look.

It's not intended as a social network but there is a very active and helpful forum. I like it because its very flexible - you can do a lot of customising both of the look and how it all works. But its mainly a site for displaying your images. Its also more expensive that some of the others but I think its worth it.

I only use flickr to store jpegs and only display small watermarked jpegs. I don't bother with the social stuff or groups at all.

I'm on smugmug at photographybyolli.com Take a look.

Do you sell much from there? I think that the social network photography/art sites might actually be a bit of a hindrance to sales. I like the way smugmug works but it seems awfully expensive to get to the level where you can actually profit from sales. Redbubble has a sales option but the social aspects are a bit of a pest at times.

No I don't. I only went for the sales option because it wasn't that much more that the lower level option. The only sales I've had (and only a handful in the year I've been on smugmug) have come from people who have seen something then contacted me directly to negotiate a price.

Reallistically, I doubt many people who don't have an established business or history are selling much on any of these sites. If an occasional sale comes through it's just a bonus.

Well, bored from not being able to get out and take actual photographs because of the 40C+ temperatures we're currently experiencing I signed up to play around with 500px. It's pleasant enough but once the temperatures cool off I don't' think I'll be continuing with it.

I have registered for it but haven't posted anything. The concept seems to be too judgemental for me. While I like to share my photography and also like feedback, the whole 500 thing seems to be loaded with having to be the 'best'. I don't want that to influence the direction in which my photography is evolving which is non-competitive and slowly (very) towards art photography.

I have registered for it but haven't posted anything. The concept seems to be too judgemental for me. While I like to share my photography and also like feedback, the whole 500 thing seems to be loaded with having to be the 'best'. I don't want that to influence the direction in which my photography is evolving which is non-competitive and slowly (very) towards art photography.

It *is* quite judgmental, and those who have been there longest will be the ones on the front page etc etc, OTOH, the presentation, once you have some stuff in there, is really quite nice... I wonder if scores really affect how people see your work? I would hope they don't. :-/

Back