1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Are U shooting B&W?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, May 3, 2012.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    In "analog" times I loved to shoot black and white. Then I went to shooting dia (projector from Rollei, I still got him). Digital area arrived, so I started to shoot digital in full color, not in B&W anymore.

Are you shooting B&W, why, are you looking forward to the new expected Leica B&W sensor?:smile::smile::smile:

2. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    I shoot in b&w with my grdiii because I like the tones. All my other cameras I shoot in colour.

I've not heard about a leica b&w sensor. Sounds interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Same here. I love using my GRD3 for B&W, but generally go for colour when using my DP1 and always when using my 5D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Jul 7, 2010
    I plan on developing some Black and White this Summer. I have the equipmen and chemicals, has been a time constraint.

Probably will develop the negatives and scan them for printing. I have an enlarger- but need to set up a Darkroom. Again- time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Also B&W with the GRD. I don't shoot B&W with any other camera, and prefer to use Nik or Topaz for the conversion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I've shot B&W with the G12 but allowed myself RAW in case I wanted the color back. I loved B&W with the GRD.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
  8. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Jul 7, 2010
    I actually called Kodak a while back to ask them what it would take to do a Monochrome version of the KAF-18500 used in the Leica M9. All it would take was Leica to ask for it.

20 years ago I called Kodak and had them make an IR version of the KAF-1600 used in the DCS200. They did it, had to make a custom run of the detectors, intervene in the process to leave the IR cut filter off.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    i have only rarely set a camera to b&w; i always process from raw now.
    sometimes i "see" a shot in b&w and capture it with the expectation that it'll be processed that way.
    more often i make the decision when i unload the camera and check through in LR.
    i don't use sfx - too clumsy and stupidly expensive; i can do all i need in LR
    i've recently obtained a film rf (Bessa) because of a certain dissatisfaction with digital mono tonality, and it's likely to see 99% b&w film through it.
    Havign said that, images from the Sigma can make beautiful monochromes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I shoot B&W exclusively with my meterless cameras - Kodak 400CN. I shoot colour in other cameras but like others here I use my GRDIII almost exclusively in B&W or the HiBW mode - I just really like the results.

B&W is about form shape, light and shade and, I believe, needs seeing with a different eye. If I *know* I have colour film loaded I shoot differently. Similarly in digiworld, I like to shoot JPEG black and white without Raw, thereby without a colour "safety net". I appreciate this may make me odd, but it works for me. :smile:

A b&w sensor M? Ain't gonna happen...

• Like Like x 1
  11. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    B+W is 70% of my photography. I am really starting to enjoy looking at the world in tones and textures - even without the viewfinder.

Ditto. Though now that I have started developing my own negatives there is no going back.
    Darkroom is months away now. Have everything but the black-out material....and permission :blush:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Is Ricoh GRD3 best camera to shoot b&w? How performs Sigma? (foveon)

13. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I've always liked high contrast black and white but lately I've really been getting into the B & W from the K5 which is fairly neutral. I find it's great for portraits with the clarity slider backed off a little.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Herman

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Thanks Christilou, has K1 same sensor as K5? I assume it has, right?