Argh! I DIDN'T get the S95 :(

Discussion in 'Canon Forum' started by wt21, Jan 1, 2012.

1. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Amazon had a lightening deal before Christmas -- S95 for $229. A friend of mine told me about it, and I DIDN'T do it (trying to just be happy with my gear). So, I've been hanging out with him for a couple of days, and I'm completely kicking myself. That would be an excellent camera addition to my kit. Now I can pick one up for just $100 more! Drat. I know I could have bigger problems, but this is definitely some GAS-angst.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I had some of those same feelings when I resisted the deal (actually had it in my cart and was one click away from sending it on its way....). I was waiting to see whether the S100 would blow it away, and I'm not sure that's what the reviews and users say. Oh, well....I really want to learn to use the GRD III, so that's one less distraction.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Bill, I wouldn't worry about missing the S95 right now. Since it's already been replaced, the price will drop again. I'm guessing it'll fall by at least $100 before rising again due to the camera's (by then) rarity.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I agree with Biro that the price will likely drop again. I think the IQ of the S90 and S95 are pretty close. So you may want to check out some S90's as well, if you can find them. The only difference is HD video (I think).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The S95 will be $100 in 2 years...don't sweat the small stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Otto

Otto SC Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Forney, TX
    Sorry you missed out. I went ahead and took advantage of that deal, and now committed to using it for the Single In January group. I have a lot to learn with this new one. I'm sure another deal is just around the corner.

• Like Like x 3
  7. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    A nice compact traveller this...it did a small part of the US with me a few months back. But it has it's short-comings. For me mainly the speed on the long-end and no viewfinder options. But as Armando, Luke and Biro point out if it's still a proposition for you in the months or years ahead then it will be had for a song.....and it's well worth it for the price of a song no matter how slow it is at range :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'd thought about it too, Bill. Kept imagining really being able to fit it in my blue jeans pocket or in my pocketbook. But didn't go for it.

Interestingly the S100 doesn't have EV compensation controls on the camera itself...seems kind of a strange thing to burry in a menu.

Let us know if you see a good deal again!:th_salute:

9. Crsnydertx

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Otto, I have an S90, and I've really enjoyed using it for the last couple years. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results from the S95, a truly pocketable little gem!

10. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    I've put my S95 on Amazon UK for £195 VGC if anyone in the UK is interested can do private deal. Great little camera but have to reduce my collection.

11. Crsnydertx

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    BB, good morning! Thanks for pointing out that change in access to exposure compensation with the S100. That's a real downer for me. While the S90 rear dial was too easy to dislodge (somewhat corrected in the S95), that dial was what I use for exposure compensation when in P, A or S mode. I just can't imagine having to go into a menu to change that important setting.... If Canon were more like Olympus, they would give you an option to activate that rear dial for exposure compensation or other purposes. Makes the S95 that much more attractive to the enthusiast segment.

12. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    From the DPReview it seems that the change with exposure compensation is only an issue if you're used to having exp comp on the rear dial directly. If you use the step zoom on the front dial and shutter speed/aperture on the rear dial then it works just like S95. You have to press "up" then you can change exp compensation on the rear dial, no need for menu diving.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Crsnydertx

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Thanks for the clarification, Chris!

14. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Well hopefully someone with a S100 will jump in a confirm/reject it, I'm just basing it on what I saw in the review :)

15. Crsnydertx

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The S100 was in very short supply before Christmas; seems to be coming back into stock at major online outlets (e.g., B&H, amazon.com). Looking forward to hearing users' impressions and, of course, sample photos.

16. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks, Chris - and welcome aboard!

I'm set in my ways, I guess.:redface: I like a little EV comp dial. As with anything, we usually do get used to something new when we really want to.

It would be great if you'd consider stopping by our Welcomes and Introductions forum when you have the time. :thumbup: