As old as sellotape and frozen food...

Discussion in 'Leica M Forum' started by Lightmancer, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Now, I feel a bit of a fraud posting this here, because this is an LTM ("Barnack") shot not an M, but there doesn't seem to be a Barnack forum around here so... :wink:

This is a bit of Autumn loveliness taken with my Leica II (D in the US). It is a 1929 "Standard", upgraded to II spec in 1934. I have had it about five years not and have added to the brassing and patina through quite a bit of use. It wears a 5cm Nickel Elmar most of the time, and lives on 400CN. I took this shot a couple of weeks ago:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightmancer/6477824173/" title="Barnack Nature by RangefinderGeneral, on Flickr">[​IMG]"612" height="914" alt="Barnack Nature"></a>
    ...and here is the tool itself...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightmancer/2553526647/" title="IID 5cm Nickel Elmar by RangefinderGeneral, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="320" alt="IID 5cm Nickel Elmar"></a>

Great fun, and proof that oldies are still goodies. :cool:

• Like Like x 8
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Bill, you seems to have forgotten that those cameras are for looking at, not looking through

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    A roll every couple of weeks says otherwise... :wink: Just enough to keep the old boy supple, following his CLA a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Nice!!! The photo and the camera are definitely welcome on this subforum, or any other one!!! I think I'll go shoot some film next time. I still have a few unused frames of the Ilford XP400 sitting inside my only film camera. They've been sitting in the camera for about a year now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chromatin64

chromatin64 SC Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    A Leekist in York, UK
    • Like Like x 3
  6. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    ENVY, ENVY, ENVY!! You folks and your Barnacks....:hail:

Never handles one in the flesh, but is the viewfinder as small and dim as it looks?

Bill: those whites are so nice and creamy...can I ask what film you used there?

7. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    In the spirit of show and tell, here are my shelf queens.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Wow .... :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Lightmancer

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Actually, the viewfinder is very good. I've used many cameras including more than a few Ms and would rate it as very usable and certainly better than the squinty things found on the Canon G series for instance. Don't forget it is separate view- and rangefinders on the Barnacks so you do have to move your eye from one to the other to focus and compose.

The film I always use is 400CN - I love the way it renders whites, as you have spotted, and also metallic surfaces, thus:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightmancer/1936331211/" title="IIIc Millennium Bridge by RangefinderGeneral, on Flickr">[​IMG]"592" height="800" alt="IIIc Millennium Bridge"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightmancer/1936325983/" title="IIIc Lloyds Building by RangefinderGeneral, on Flickr">[​IMG]"525" height="800" alt="IIIc Lloyds Building"></a>

Both shot with the Barnack I had before this one, a IIIc.

• Like Like x 2
  10. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    lovely lovely lovely tones in those two

11. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    That's a Summar 5cm f2- I keep one on a Leotax D-IV.

The IIIF had an Early Summicron on it. With a newly polished front element, sone at focalpoint.

12. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'm drooling just looking at all these well cared for beauties. The closest thing to looks that I could get to is the modern X100. I am a sucker for chrome on beautiful tools/machines...and cars.:wink:

Lovely...and we do have a film thread and we do have an Open Gear forum, too. Glad you brought yours out to use, Bill! And Malcolm, you're a lucky man yourself!

• Like Like x 1
  13. greyelm

greyelm SC Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2011
    London, England
    These old Leicas are a joy to use and the icing on the cake is that the lenses can be adapted to micro4/3. Joy all round :smile: