awstralian wildloife

Discussion in 'Nature' started by pdh, Jan 26, 2012.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I didn't see a single one ...

[​IMG]

2. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Paul, did you see any eucalyptus trees? that could be the reason. Also "Koalas prefer to move around just after sunset spending daytimes asleep in the fork of a tree. Koala spends sleeping 75% of its time. Just after sunset koalas move around and can often be heard "barking" aggressively at other koalas."
    Koala facts

Barrie

3. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    No koala sighting here in the US. :) Except in zoos ...

4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Funnily enough Barrie, antipodean visitors to North Dorset often remark on the thick groves of Eucalyptus that abut almost desert-like outback areas dotted with thornbush ...

5. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Well I sighted LOTS of UK wildlife in my backyard yesterday.
    Foxes, hares, rabbits, rats, to name just what I saw...
    A shame we couldn't return the favour.
    Though I hope your first inclination isn't to take to them with blunt instruments as we do. :026:

6. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog SC Regular

[​IMG]

Well you asked for Awstralian wildlife, so here it is. It's been lurking in my gallery for several weeks now. Just proves you don't look at the galleries often enough.
    This little blighter was photographed in the Belair National Park. Belair is just a short drive (or train ride) from Adelaide, (the capital city of South Awstralia.) Soon I'll be adding to my gallery and to a thread on its' own a photo story on another Australian Icon (note the correct spelling) the Ficifolia Tree. The ficifolia tree is a flowering eucalyptus (commonly known as a gum tree). Our home town celebrates the "Ficifolia Festival" in early February to coincide with the actual flowering of these trees. Our road has an avenue of these trees that are just starting to flower. SO KEEP WATCHING THIS SITE for photos and stories of this Australian icon.
    Cheers
    DUD

7. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    G'day

another inch and it will be quite painful

8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Paul, very entertaining!

Mark, are they really terrible?! I've always thought they were exceptionally cute. Down Under Dog - you're right, most of us usually don't get to see what's in the galleries enough. Accept that right now some of us are deep within the tail end of the month long Single In January...and are trying to keep up in there... I can't wait to see your dedicated thread - and read the story!

9. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Interjecting here... haven't you heard of drop bears, BB? Look at the claws in DUD's photo...