1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

B&W Samsung NX

Discussion in 'Samsung NX Forum' started by drd1135, Sep 29, 2014.

1. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    "achromatic" ?

Achromatic describes how a lens behaves.

It's not a synonym of "monochromatic".

These people are idiots

3. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    OK, big fun for everyone except Polly.

4. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    ^:laugh1:
    So far I never associated Samsung with catering to really specific enthusiast niches, but after the NX1, why not? Still I'll have to see it before I believe it!

5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I had a bit of a chuckle over the Achromatic name as well, and I'm still not sold on the benefits of monochrome sensors.

6. Iansky

Iansky SC Top Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Cotswolds, UK
    Another company trying to emulate Leica by producing a monochromatic sensored camera.

Without being rude to any quarter, I do find production of monochromatic only sensors a gimmick and I understand that Leica did this to hopefully generate more interest and in turn revenue for a brand that is fast becoming an outdated limited appendage for the well healed (I am not being jealous as I have owned and used professionally many Leica analogue rangefinders and loved them - my experience with Leica Digital M's was a catalogue of faults that required too much time away for repair).

I am surprised though that Samsung feel there is a viable revenue generating market for monochrome sensored cameras especially when RAW files can produce stunning B&W images and the true B&W afficionados tend to use either analogue or larger sensored units.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
  8. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Well You are one upon me as I never heard of it before

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    they could avoid a lot of confusion by just calling it a black and white camera. The only photographic context where I have heard the word achromatic used is in discussing lens elements. I also don't think Samsung will do it.

10. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Been Googling this subject - it has quite a history

Achromatic can be justified use, but it does seems to be stretching it a bit

Monochrome is a common word especially in its artistic use, & no company should have a right to trademark or copyright it or exclude others from using it

11. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Well, there are several undeniable advantages to having a monochrome sensor; mainly the increased sensitivity (RGB sensors by definition throw away at least 2/3 of the incoming light) and sharpness (no demosaicing necessary should give the same kind of pixel level sharpness as Foveon sensors, which at APSC size are often compared to medium format for resolution). Ofcourse both of those advantages can also be attained by waiting 3 or 4 years until regular bayer / RGB sensors have improved the same amount, but still, at any point in time, the advantages are there.