1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

B&W with DP2 Merrill- jpeg or from RAW?

Discussion in 'Sigma DP Forum' started by Ranger Rick, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick SC Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I'm renting a DP2M for a trip. I read it can produce excellent B&W.

Since I won't be able to process/verify until I get back, any thoughts on B&W from B&W jpeg Mode vs. B&W from RAW with something like SEP 2?

Thanks,

Rick

2. Duane Pandorf

Duane Pandorf SC Top Veteran

Apr 25, 2011
    Western NC
    If the camera has the option I would shoot RAW+JPG and set the in camera JPG option to B&W. This way you have a B&W file to use while on your trip and the RAW file for final processing if required when you get home.

3. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

I shoot Jpg+raw all the time.. But I only use the jpgs for quick filtering.. That is..I find the ones that I want to run thru spp (Sigma's raw sw processor) to create a tiff 16 from the raw as opposed to trying to do,everything in spp at the same time.

W/ the latest fw update and version of sp, when u set monochrom mode on the dp2m, it puts a monochrom flag in the raw file data.. When u open that raw file in spp, it will automatically bring up the b&w dialog. U still have access to the color dialog btw.

I have sep2 as well.. But since the latest set of updates, I tend to use spp monochrome for all the initial b&w work when I create the tiff 16 file.. I feel I can get much better control of the look in my b&w w/ spp then in sep2 (and that is saying something, since sep2 is pretty good w/ the level of controls that u can apply even after playing w/ the different presets)..

I bring it into aperture for my final set of edits.

Jpg+raw is going to be about 50-55mb for each picture and the converted tiff will be around 84mb if u are using large raw. Make sure that u use the fastest sd card.. Writes to sd are slow... 55mb is a lot of data to,write compared to the usually 10-20mb of any other camera.

Good luck and have fun with it..
    Gary

4. PaulO

PaulO New to SC

Aug 9, 2013
    For B&W I'm shooting RAW + jpg (but jpg is only for initial selection). I find that I get more control of B&W by doing initial corrections in SPP as a color image (not using SPP monochrome) and saving as 16bit TIFF. I then do BW conversion in PS CS6 (or could use LR). I like having tonal control of each color channel and the use of the adjustment brush for subtle dodge and burn.

5. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

I mainly use the spp monochrome color wheel for that operation..

Gary

6. PaulO

PaulO New to SC

Aug 9, 2013
    I believe I have a lot more control in ACR (in CS6 - not Elements) or Lightroom. I can adjust the luminosity of each color channel independently. For example, I can darken the reds, lighten the yellows, darken the greens and lighten the blues all at the same time in one image. I don't believe I can do this with the color wheel. I'm I missing something?

Paul

7. Garylh

Garylh SC Veteran

Point taken..

I have never need that much individual control of the luminous channels. I tend to play w/ luminosity after the b&w conversion in Aperture.

Gary