1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"bad weather" Foveon shots

Discussion in 'Sigma DP Forum' started by Tilman Paulin, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    the Foveon sensor definitely "shines" in good light. But it doesn't always have to be sunshine. :)

I thought it might be interesting to start a thread like this, to show that they're not just "sunshine only" cameras...

Please add your shots too! :)

cheers,
    Tilman

7173206211_55a6be5430_b.
    Wicken walk by tilman paulin, on Flickr

6086045426_d03e9da14f_b.
    cliff trees by tilman paulin, on Flickr

4105925655_4d49a5bd2b_b.
    after sunset by tilman paulin, on Flickr

• Like Like x 20
  2. chelimbonod

chelimbonod SC Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    Wow, that is popping like 3D! Amazing photography! Are those shots handheld?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks chelimbonod! The first one is actually one of the rare occasions I had a monopod with me.The second one is handheld. And the third shot was done by holding the camera against the hand-railing of a bridge.

4. chelimbonod

chelimbonod SC Rookie

Jul 22, 2012
    What kind of monopod? I've been looking at getting one of those...

5. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    wonderful shots! did you do much processing on the first and third?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andrewteee

Andrewteee SC All-Pro

Jul 8, 2010
    Wow! Love the second one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I love the 2nd most, but they're all beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Beautiful work.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have a Tamron monopod (this one Tamron 4-section Monopod - Digital Camera Warehouse) that I got for free with the purchase of my Nikon D80 ages ago :)
    I shoot handheld most of the time, but since I started printing this year I thought I'd need to pay a bit more attention to sharpness.

This Tamron monopod works fine for me, the only thing I miss is a quick release plate. I don't walk about with the camera on it, so there's lots of fiddling involved everytime I want to use it.
    I might look for one with a quick release some time... :)

10. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks everyone! Please feel free to add your own :) Could be anything from overcast days to low light and more :)

On the first on I think today that I pushed it a bit too much (but I was too lazy to make a new version so far).
    It was processed in Lightroom 4. Basically I tweaked the whitebalance, added contrast and clarity to the wheat with an adjustment brush, a bit less contrast to the clouds (also with an adjustment brush), added a vignette, and some color tweaking.
    To sum it up, yes :)
    I can't help it, I work with pictures everyday (moving pictures, not photographs though) so I know what I want, and can't stop until I'm there (or sometimes beyond :tongue:)

The third one is from a few years ago. I still worked with SPP then. And imported into Photoshop afterwards. Where I probably did quite some noodling :)

The thing I like so much about the Sigma raw files is that they take processing really well (before they break apart). They sometimes need a bit more work. But they take it well and the results can be unique.

cheers,
    Tilman

11. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 SC Top Veteran

Jul 21, 2012
    NJ, USA
    Ed
    Brilliant photos, you've captured the moodiness of the overcast conditions very well. I like the dramatic composition and sky in photo 1, and the very tranquil and well-composed shot 3.

• Like Like x 1
  12. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Lovely images! Feveon is best for low iso shots, usually problem is mixed lights and high iso. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  13. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Wow, those are amazing. I went to the flickr site as well. All other possible problems aside, any camera that can produce that quality image is a worthy tool.

• Like Like x 1
  14. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Jenna

Jenna SC Rookie

Aug 18, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Karen
    I love the colours and the tranquility of the third image.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Wow, fantastic work, shot #2 is my fav.

• Like Like x 1
  17. john10001

john10001 New to SC

Aug 12, 2012
    Great work Tilman! I'm quite impressed with what the Sigma can do. Where is the second photo on there taken? A lot of your other stuff is excellent as well. You certainly use some great equipment and lens and get the best out of them. A lot of the places you've shot are quite familiar to me.

18. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Simply gorgeous, all three images!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks everyone for your kind words! :) And thanks Heather for sharing a photo! Beautiful sky!

Thanks John! The second photo is taken in Snowdonia, Wales. Looking down on Llyn Idwal. We had record rainfalls that time (as usual in the UK these days :tongue: ) and had to turn back shortly after, because a waterfall went across the path and there was just too much water for us to jump... :)

As far as equipment is concerned, the DP2 and DP1s are definitely my best lenses. (The only other "great" lens I have is the Nikon 105mm Macro. But that weighs twice as much as both Sigmas together. And cost more than I had to pay for both Sigmas together. :)
    So when people complain about the prices of the Sigma DP's, they're not really considering that they would have to pay just as much (if not more) for an equally nice lens on a different system. (Plus I have the advantage of not needing to change lenses, I just pick one of the two and am set).

Locationwise, when I still lived in London, I shot a lot around Hampstead Heath (on my way to work or the weekend). Now we live north of London, so we explore the area there (Chiltern Hills and Midlands). Plus anything you can reach on a long weekend from there :)

20. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    some more...

the first one was at the very end of the day. We were already hastening back to reach the car before it got too dark. Handheld, 1/6th sec, ISO 800. Not pinsharp and it took some noodling to get colours back... but I like the mood very much.

6325601170_b12ee0556a_b.
    red ferns by tilman paulin, on Flickr

second on is from one of those typical overcast UK days... just outside Milton Keynes

7239841210_d8a2269b7a_b.
    the view by tilman paulin, on Flickr

this one is from a Denmark holiday... a couple of minutes later the heavens opened and we got completely drenched... :)

5299765846_80801ecbde_b.
    dark dunes by tilman paulin, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3