News Ban on cameras in cabin baggage - back to film?

Even though it's far easier to blow up people on the ground it doesn't need an engineering degree to bring down an airliner. I'm actually pretty surprised that it doesn't happen more often in times like these. Regarding travelling by air with film that has already been a major PITA many years ago and the situation hasn't exactly improved in the meantime.

Last edited:
If they're banning any camera with electronics in it, most film cameras from the past 20-30 years would qualify too. My old Pentax K1000 from the 1970s may not have had any electronics beyond a basic light meter (and I frankly don't recall if I had to change a small battery for that), but I know every film camera I've had since has required batteries for something, whether AF or auto-exposure modes to automatic film winding. And if the basic deal is it's easy to hide some sort of explosive in an electronic device, I'm not sure why you couldn't do the same thing in a film camera - probably more easily since you can open the back and get into a relatively large cavity...

-Ray

Of course, if the camera is allowed in the hold it could still be an explosive device on a timer.
Yes this is where I struggle. Why is a laptop or camera safer in the hold than in the cabin, when any such device could be remotely triggered, or as you say, on a timer? And while we're at it, when is the liquids ban being removed? Airports were supposed to have new scanning technology installed about a year ago. Oh well, this just makes me more convinced I shall be having a year without flying if I can possibly avoid it.

It wasn't a serious suggestion.

And it turns out that today isn't a good day for joking about such things, with an apparent terrorist attack in Westminster this afternoon. Hope everyone is safe.

-R

I can't imagine going back to film in terms of international airline travel. It was bad enough back in the day. Today, with heightened concerns and TSA people who probably wouldn't even recognize a film can for what it is, you have the potential for real problems. Also, it used to be if your film was below ISO 800, you'd be fine going through the x-ray machine. I wonder if that's still the case.

The reason, by the way, is that larger electronic items such as tablets and laptops have larger batteries. The batteries have the same consistency on X-ray scanners as explosives (so, incidentally, does chocolate). A small phone wouldn't be able to contain enough explosive to do much damage.

My Leica IID contains no electronics at all; it is just brass, glass and rubberised cloth. I can put a modern Voigtlander LTM lens on it, load it up with a modern film and shoot Sunny-16 and I'm sorted.

Back